HELP! New D50 isn't acting right....

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by RMThompson, Apr 5, 2007.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok so I got my D50 in the mail, and got it all ready to take it's first picture... battery is charged, memory card is in the slot, the strap is on, and the 18-55 lens is on.

So, I start to push halfway down and the lens TRIES to focus, over and over again. It eventually does, and I take.... but the next picture is the same way, focusing is sort of loud (not a problem really) and it clicks back and forth, forever, trying to focus and not ever really finding a place to focus.

Any reason for this? Anything I can do?

:( <- me. Very sad!

2. zendianah

zendianah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a D50 and it seems to happen when either A.. Im standing to close to the subject or B my settings are wrong. If my settings are wrong... I turn the camera off let it reset and try again. I hope that helped.. since Im not a pro but own the same camera.

The manual is also awesome.. I read that ALOTTTT.. Maybe that may help to.

3. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Usually continual focus seeking results from low light or being near or outside the focus range of the lens. Go shoot something at infinity focus in bright daylight. The focus should lock almost instanteously. If it doesn't then you can worry.

4. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    18mm the building across from me, works great.

55mm doesnt work, goes back and forth and then feels like it "defaults" at a certain length and goes blurry.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How bright is it? The maximum aperture of the lens affects how much light gets through the lens and to the AF sensor. The maximum aperture of that lens is smaller at 55mm than it is at 55mm.

6. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not too bright, but shouldn't the flash take over at some point? It's somewhat working, so Im not going to freak out, but I hope it gets better.

7. Kristie

Kristie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The flash wont take over if you have it on certian settings (what do you have it at? Manual, Auto, Aperture, etc)

8. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

In the auto mode the flash will "take over" but that happens after the focusing is finished so it won't affect focusing. You probably have a slow lens in dim light. You are asking the AF system to go further than it wants to.

9. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're not using AF correctly.

It's a common mistake and people always blame equipment when 90% of the time, it's the photographers fault.

Your AF sensor detects contrast, so if you're trying to focus on..say, a piece of foam core, your AF wil hunt and hunt if you just put your AF point right on the middle of the board. But if you put your AF sensor on the edge of the foam core, where there's contrast to the board and the background, than your AF should lock on real quick and stay locked (unless in AF-C of course).

10. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah I am beginning to think it might be user error, but does this mean this lens cant be used at ALL indoors? I mean I am focusing on a lamp, about 30 feet away, and its pretty bright, and I get no focus....

11. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, but one of the objects I was AF to was a baby with a colorful play thing over them, about 5 feet away....

Everything seems so much better at 18mm, probably because of the better f-stoppage.

12. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh and thus far everything was in AUTO mode, to get used to it.