HELP! New D50 isn't acting right....

Well now that's not sharp at all because you have camera shake. That's user error, you need to support your camera if you're going to shoot it in such a dark room.

Well now that's not sharp at all because you have camera shake. That's user error, you need to support your camera if you're going to shoot it in such a dark room.

The point was that the AF couldnt focus on that subject!

I'm thinking the AF assist lamp maybe?
No, that's not the problem. The image WAS in focus, but since the camera was shaking during the exposure, you have an image that suffers from motion blur. You can easily tell just from looking at the shot above.

EDIT: Look, just put your camera on a desk or something, set your aperture to f/8, focus on something about 10-15 feet away, set the timer to however long you want so you don't get camera shake from your hands and take a picture. if THAT'S not sharp, than you've got problems. If it is sharp, than it's been user error the whole time.

since the camera was shaking during the exposure, you have an image that suffers from motion blur. You can easily tell just from looking at the shot above.

I don't think that rmthompson is complaining about the blur in the photo...he or she is complaining that the camera AF is "hunting" back and forth looking for a lock. Correct?

I don't think that rmthompson is complaining about the blur in the photo...he or she is complaining that the camera AF is "hunting" back and forth looking for a lock. Correct?

No because he said that the autofocus wasnt focusing on the subject but it did as you can see from the picture he just moved the camera when the shutter was open

If you're in AF-S mode, Nikon's wont take the picture unless the AF has locked.

That's correct. I was just giving an example as the scene I was trying to take in AF. Never said it was sharp in MF! lol

I dont know. I had a fellow photog look at it and he agreed it should be faster, and is messing up. I guess I'll call nikon, but what a freaking bummer to the shots I had lined up this weekend!

Low light f5.6 lens.

You might think an indoor room is bright but the camera doesn't. Maybe now you are understanding more why we say faster lenses are almost a necessity to shoot indoors.

Buy a 50mm f1.8 and you'll see the difference.

EOS... I thought the same thing until I took it outside, at 1 pm and in my bright office. Same results.

That is odd. Shooting Auto, the camera should focus pretty quickly in bright light...... Can you post an image? It may be picking up a tree branch or a lamp post something else in the way of the lens and the subject you are trying to focus on.....

the above image was one. That is a VERY well light office... wouldnt focus on that toy.

OK, his 55mm is having this behavior ("hunting") in many different scenes, at many different lighting scenarios, at many different distances. However, his 18mm seems to work just fine. Sounds to me like the 55 may have REAL problems, and he should take it and his body to a camera shop and try:

A different 55 on his body.
The questionable 55 on another body.

Take big mike's advice from several billion posts back, and try out another 55 on your body, and the questionable 55 on another body. Process of elimination.

Sometimes it IS the hardware. Sheesh.

there should be a switch on the side of your camera with a MF on it.....just use that. i mean cmon, whats the point of sending a camera back when you could just use manual focus? i havnt used autofocus in a while. but i guess if you have a fast lens and your taking pictures of errrr a race? then you might need af.

OK, his 55mm is having this behavior ("hunting") in many different scenes, at many different lighting scenarios, at many different distances. However, his 18mm seems to work just fine. Sounds to me like the 55 may have REAL problems, and he should take it and his body to a camera shop and try:

A different 55 on his body.
The questionable 55 on another body.

Take big mike's advice from several billion posts back, and try out another 55 on your body, and the questionable 55 on another body. Process of elimination.

Sometimes it IS the hardware. Sheesh.

I'm guessing it's one lens an 18-55 and at 18mm the lens is ok and at 55mm there's a problem? :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back