Help new lense ideas??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Weikel, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Maybe a used 60mm f/2.8 G-series Micro~NIKKOR....it's a Nikon-made macro lens, with the in-lens AF-S focusing motor that her D3000 requires for autofocusing, and it could shot fish tank pictures. I always suggested people buy macro lenses as USED lenses!!!

2. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

If I read the OP right the macro option is for HIS purposes, while the portraits is more his wife's line.
    The kit zoom's already give good general flexibility so I'd recommend the 50 /1.8 prime which would be perfect for portraits & give a lot of other additions to the shooting options due to it's aperture.
    This lens falls well within his budget allowing a further purchase, which could be a body upgrade (I don't see any problem with older bodies though - I have one myself & it also applies to my cameras...) I'd be inclined to include a Raynox DCR150 to give close up/macro options without making the whole purchase look like it was done more with his purposes in mind :)

Although the OP repeatedly uses zoom in I get the impression he's just referring to filling the frame from longer distances.

On a crop body the 50mm gives close to the ideal portrait focal length, would give good full length portraits from around the 15' he mentions as well as giving pleasing perspective for head & shoulder portraits (by not getting the photographer to move too close in).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 1