Help New Tamron 70-200 f2.8 vs Nikkor 70-200 VR1 second hand?

lil dvl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just after quick advice on what camera I should choose?
The nikon is in good used condition and the tamron is brand new. Both approx the same price $1300AU
Tough call. Brand name vs warranty?
Reviews say the tamron has awesome quality pics, as does nikon.
Build quality well nikon felt better in hand.
Quick advice appreciated as I need this probably tomorrow.
Will be shooting action shots, wildlife, portraits and shooting out of a chopper.
Thank you.

My choices would be this way:

FX Nikon body? Tamron.

DX Nikon body, the Nikkor.

Just in case you are interested, I have a 70-200 tamron (perfect condition) for sale in the buy/sell section ;)

The choice is the same choice I had 3 months ago (I am selling now as I am switching camera gear totally) - and for me, the price was the sticking point.
I would have LOVED the 70-200 from Nikon, but the Tamron got so much better reviews for the body I used (D810).
Saving $1000 from that data point was an easy decision.

Pretty amazing your dilemma as I was in the exact same boat as you are, same price I could choose the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VRI or brand new Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC

You asked why the Nikon for DX and Tamron for FX
The Nikon 70-200mm VRI is known to vignette on FF cameras. on APS-C its not a problem as the smaller sensor captures the centre of the lens thus you dont get the vignetting.
If you own a DX camera and never plan on moving to FX then the Nikon is a good choice but if you either have FX or plan on moving to FX in the future get the Tamron.
I chose the Tamron, amazing lens for my FX camera its the best lens for the money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back