HELP| Night Photography Problem. Too Grainy or Too Blurry.

You said it on your post that you cant see anything on the screen after you took the shot. If you follow the meter you would know before shot is taken whether you will be able to see the shot or not. Whether or not it will look good or not is a different story.

The meter said the light is Good. but once the picture is taken it's a lot darker than it says it is... even if I'm right under a light or a light is over the object i'm taking..

understanding-exposure.jpg

In tricky light situations, don't believe the meter. Experience and knowledge comes with time, you learnt that your pics came out garbage on this night shoot, then change a setting, just one, whether its aperture, ISO or SS, its up to you, if the next shoot is garbage, then change again, once you start getting somewhere with the pics, then you will have really learnt something. H

Im just saying... you should still see something on the screen LOL.

BMP.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just stop....

Breathe.....

Listen....

There are lot of people here who know EXACTLY what the answer to your original question is.... some people have tried to answer it for you, and you have taken offense by it. Relax for a second.

Instead of us trying to explian it to you over the Internet, look up a few posts to the book pictured by Bitter Jewler... go to the library and check it out, better yet, go on Amazon and buy it.

After about 2 hours of reading... you will have a revelation and a big "Ahhh Hahhhhh" moment. And that evening you will be out taking some really interesting night time photography. This thread has been going on for about 6 times longer than it would have taken you to read the first few chapters of that book... and you still don't have an answer.

agreed.
that book is awesome.
my copy is well worn.

This thread (which I have only skimmed) seems to be, as someone else here recently said, using a whole lot of words to say not much of anything.

In tricky light situations, don't believe the meter. Experience and knowledge comes with time, you learnt that your pics came out garbage on this night shoot, then change a setting, just one, whether its aperture, ISO or SS, its up to you, if the next shoot is garbage, then change again, once you start getting somewhere with the pics, then you will have really learnt something. H

We live in the 'now' generation. People want results immediately if not sooner.

Harry has made a good point.

-do not always depend on the technical portion of your camera...with time, dedication and experience you will learn what is necessary to overcome what you are experiencing today.

Sure, but if you want to take difficult photos, you will need more expensive equipment.

Nonsense, you just need more patience and practice. A steadier hand doesn't hurt, either.

If we're talking lenses, that's different; having a lens that can open up to 1.8 or lower is going to help a ton.

It does help. I was shooting hand held in ambient light at 6400 ISO with a 15mm f/2.8 Fish lens while everyone else had to use tripods.

Does the T2i have spot metering? If not, that's often a problem noobs face. It's doing evaluative metering so it's getting the whole scene and not what they're directly aiming at...or something like that.

Instead of us trying to explian it to you over the Internet, look up a few posts to the book pictured by Bitter Jewler... go to the library and check it out, better yet, go on Amazon and buy it.

I actually work for a public library and we don't even own a single copy of "Understanding Exposure!" I requested it for purchase, but they won't buy it because it's too old...:thumbdown:

So, I bought my own! :lol:

Bitter Jeweler said:

Ok, will def buy it as soon as I can make it to the bookstore.

@Library people, Yeah my Library probably will not have it haha too small of a Library :lol:

Im just saying... you should still see something on the screen LOL.

I do see something. lol if ghostly lights count in a mist of black..or all black at least in the photo... but when looking threw the viewfinder and looking for the best place the camera will like the light I can see everything...camera on other hand unless it's on iso 6400 won't shoot for anything except for the ghostly lights I was talking about.

Village Idiot said:
Does the T2i have spot metering? If not, that's often a problem noobs face. It's doing evaluative metering so it's getting the whole scene and not what they're directly aiming at...or something like that.

I believe it doesn't I'll go check to-be doublesure.

Boomn4x4 said:
BMP.... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just stop....

Breathe.....

Listen....

There are lot of people here who know EXACTLY what the answer to your original question is.... some people have tried to answer it for you, and you have taken offense by it. Relax for a second.

After about 2 hours of reading... you will have a revelation and a big "Ahhh Hahhhhh" moment. And that evening you will be out taking some really interesting night time photography. This thread has been going on for about 6 times longer than it would have taken you to read the first few chapters of that book... and you still don't have an answer.

If you noticed I am taking everyone's Ideas into account...and I'm not starting a fight there was only 2 post I took offense too as it seemed instead of helping I was being mocked. as well I haven't responded since he posted the book. I'm trying to get opinions from people rather than a book. if It will help me I will buy the book. I'm just asking for peoples opinions...

Basically you are exposing for those "ghostly lights", that is your problem, if theres buildings/other stuff you wish to record, exposure needs to be for those, all you have now are underexposed lights, remedy is, to up the iso, (but this makes noise/grain), open the aperture,(depends on the mood you want the shot to portray) or do it the way its meant to be done, slow shutter/low iso/tripod/correct metering, (not pointing at the brightest area in a scene) then come back, post pics, and, get slated for them. In the best possible way of course. Have fun. H

Most reactions

Back