Help on choosing a flash

atseeyob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear Friends,
I am about to take a flash crash course and having a flash is required for the class. I have Canon 30D. One thing to keep in mind is that the flash I am buying is the one i would like to use it for a while. Please let me know what to look for. Thanks as usual

EX430 or EX580 are the two to really consider. Buy one based on how much you're willing to spend.

I agree, the 430EX or the 580EX II would be the best choice. They are fully dedicated flash units for your camera, which means that they communicate with the camera. One of the things it communicates is flash metering (E-TTL II). You might also consider something like the Sigma 500 Super, which also communicates with the camera.

Lastly, you might consider a flash that is not dedicated. These are a lot cheaper, but don't offer the convenience of E-TTL metering. Most will have their own built-in sensors, so you have to match the settings on the camera and the flash, in order to get proper exposure. Some might be purely manual, which would require you to figure out what setting to use, either with a flash meter or with a calculation.

Another excellent choice would be the Metz line of flashes, which communicate fully with your camera as well. They are amongst the best flashes in the industry, and have been the choice of many pros for years because they are durable, reliable, well weather sealed, blindingly powerful, fast to recharge and dead-on accurate.

Most reactions

Back