Help on Portrait Lens for Canon 30D

stellar_gal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Canon 30D and am using a Sigma 28-105 IF 3.8-5.6 lens. I am getting more and more portrait work and need to get a higher quality and faster lens for my exclusive natural light work, somtimes indoors. I do a lot of kids and mostly close-ups, so the background blur has been ok so far and I usually hand hold.
Also, I don't understand some of the techinical aspects of my 1.6x sensor and how it applies to final images. If you shoot at 85mm with my current zoom lens- does it mean it appears that it was shot at 135mm? Not sure how that works and I want to understand before I spend a lot of money on the wrong lens. I am on the fence about a fixed length or zoom, but know I need 2.8 or faster for the best quality. I can go the Canon L series if it's a must- but I'd like other suggestions in the Canon line. I was looking at the 70-200 2.8L USM, but it may be too long with the 1.6x factor?Thanks!

Don't concern yourself with the crop factor...it's only relevant when you are comparing your camera to a 35mm film camera (or a full frame digital like the 5D or 1Ds).

Choose your focal length based on what you know of your existing lens on your camera. If that range works for you, then get something similar.

The 70-200 lenses are great, but I think you may be right that they may be too long for indoor portraits.

The 100mm F2.8 Macro is a super sharp lens, is a good focal length and is also a true macro lens.
The 85mm F1.8 is sharp and quite a bargain.
The 85mm F1.2 L is a great lens and super fast (also super expensive).
The 50mm F1.8 is pretty sharp and very cheap, the 50mm F1.4 is more expensive but better built.
Check out Canon's 24-70 F2.8 L. It's renowned as one of the best lenses in the line up...but it's big, heavy and expensive.
Sigma also makes a 24-70 F2.8 lens which is almost as good but much less expensive.
There is the Canon 24-105 F4 L IS...it's only F4 but is said to be very sharp.
You could go with something wider...like the Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS, or the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 or Sigma 18-50 F2.8.

There are many choices...it will help if you narrow down your focal length range and budget.

I would go with the cannon 85mm f1.8, I have one it is a very good lens. Its fixed but most pro shoot fix for quality[med format] the 70-200L is to much, PLUS high dollar, its great for most sports landscapes, but not portraits. If you want a zoom maybe the 24-70L f2.8, alot less than 70-200 but still high dollar.Hope this helps let us know what you do

I just ordered the 85mm f1.8 lens. I went by your suggestions, read reviews and did some testing on my Sigma lens. I'll let you know how it is next week. Thanks for your help!

You also could have gone for a telephoto approach and just stood further away from your target...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back