help on taking sun ray and hazy photo

junqi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear all,

i having problem taking sun ray and hazy photo.

anyone can advice me on this ?

Hazy Photo:
In order to take hazy photo i have to remove lens hood right ? and the sun has to behind my subject and then my focus point will be on the subject ? how about the settings ? is it the wider the aperture give more hazy effect?

Sunray Photo:
In order to take sun ray or sun burst photo i have to remove lens hood right ? and the sun has to behind my subject and then my focus point will be on the subject ? how about the settings ? correct me if i am wrong my aperture have to small right ?

If you're shooting directly towards the sun, the hood will not affect the image. If your subject is silhouetting the sun, you won't get any 'starburts'.

A smaller aperture will help make starbursts, and the number of blades the lens has will affect the resulting starburst. But that's only if the sun is not blocked.

If you're shooting directly towards the sun, the hood will not affect the image. If your subject is silhouetting the sun, you won't get any 'starburts'.

A smaller aperture will help make starbursts, and the number of blades the lens has will affect the resulting starburst. But that's only if the sun is not blocked.

wouldn't my subject be out of focus if i focus to the sun directly ? what do you mean by sun is not blocked? are you referring like begin block by a tree ?

wouldn't my subject be out of focus if i focus to the sun directly ? what do you mean by sun is not blocked? are you referring like begin block by a tree ?

Maybe.... depends on the focal length of the lens, the aperture used and the distance to your subject.

I referring to blocking the sun.... with anything. A tree, your subject, a car, ...... If the sun itself is blocked by something between it and the lens, you'd be hard pressed to get any starbursts.

Maybe.... depends on the focal length of the lens, the aperture used and the distance to your subject.

I referring to blocking the sun.... with anything. A tree, your subject, a car, ...... If the sun itself is blocked by something between it and the lens, you'd be hard pressed to get any starbursts.

i have been trying to take hazy photo but somehow i can't manage to get it. do you have any tips of taking such photo. i did a google search but what i try still seems to fail. during day time i used aperture f2.8 iso200 shuttle speed 400. i am using 70-200mm f2.8 lens

tacomastartup2.jpg
I tried to get a decent starburst recently. This is what I got by simply stopping down, probably f11 if I remember correctly. If you want intentional lens flare then I don't know what to tell ya. I can't stand it!

tacomastartup2.jpg

i have been trying to take hazy photo but somehow i can't manage to get it. do you have any tips of taking such photo. i did a google search but what i try still seems to fail. during day time i used aperture f2.8 iso200 shuttle speed 400. i am using 70-200mm f2.8 lens

F/2.8 isn't going to get you much. You need to stop down much further.

As for 'hazy', that's a function of particulate matter in the air. Dust, pollen, fog, smoke etc.

I tried to get a decent starburst recently. This is what I got by simply stopping down, probably f11 if I remember correctly.

F/8, if you really want to know.

I tried to get a decent starburst recently. This is what I got by simply stopping down, probably f11 if I remember correctly.

Thank you sir! I guess I probably should have spent a little more time before pressing " post reply". :)[/QUOTE]

F/2.8 isn't going to get you much. You need to stop down much further.

As for 'hazy', that's a function of particulate matter in the air. Dust, pollen, fog, smoke etc.

i using f2.8 because i read one of the article they told me the wider the aperture the more hazy it is.

below is the hazy photo that i would like to take but somehow fail can you guide me along how to take ?

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Hazy', as it appears in that image (which should, per the forum rules, be a link and not a posted image) can be done as part of post-processing.

'Hazy', as it appears in that image (which should, per the forum rules, be a link and not a posted image) can be done as part of post-processing.

oh so sorry about that. didn't know that. if without post-processing are we able to capture hazy effect ? during daytime. If so how can we go about it?

Use a crappy lens filter and put the sun right behind your model?

You might even need to force more light into the lens to pull it off. I could see a few reflectors off to the side of the camera, directing extraneous light into the lens, in order to reduce the contrast of the final image.

Use a crappy lens filter and put the sun right behind your model?

can it be done without any filters ? as i do not have any of this filters.

You might even need to force more light into the lens to pull it off. I could see a few reflectors off to the side of the camera, directing extraneous light into the lens, in order to reduce the contrast of the final image.

without using any equipment like reflectors or filter we are unable to take the hazy effect ?

Most reactions

Back