Help one more time..

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the Nikon D90. I was looking at flashes and I was wondering if different cameras have different hotshoes, so you would naturally have to buy different flashes for them? Or are all flashed universal. Dont mind my idiotic question, but I didnt look into this before because I didnt plan to have/need a flash. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

I have the Nikon D90. I was looking at flashes and I was wondering if different cameras have different hotshoes, so you would naturally have to buy different flashes for them?
Nikon and Canon uses a standard hot shoe design but you shouldn't use a flash from Nikon on a Canon DSLR and vice-versa. Sony uses a proprietary design. Not sure about the other brands.
Or are all flashed universal.
Nope.
Dont mind my idiotic question, but I didnt look into this before because I didnt plan to have/need a flash. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
How much were you looking to spend? Are you only looking at Nikon Speedlites or are you looking at some of the third party brands too?

I didnt know where to start looking because I didnt know what would work on my camera. I am okay with using any type of flash as long as it gets the job done. I wont be using it too much. I generally like to look at te third party things more thoroughly to see what the best for the buck is, but any brand will be okay with me. A direction or what to look for as in specifications would be amazing.

Thanks again
Mark

Well start off first looking at the nikon range (I don't know the code names just that htey are nikon speedlite).
Idealy you want a falsh which allows you rotate the head and angle it up and down - that will give you greater flexability when using it. I would recomend one of the official ones first since they tend to support the more advanced auto features in cameras better - 3rd party can be a bit hit and miss, not too bad if you don't mind shooting in full manaual mode, but a pain if your not experienced in it.

Well start off first looking at the nikon range (I don't know the code names just that htey are nikon speedlite).
I agree...stick to the Nikon Speedlites for on-camera flash. For off-camera flash it's okay to use third party or even Canon Speedlites...but for on-camera flash, go with Nikon.
Idealy you want a falsh which allows you rotate the head and angle it up and down - that will give you greater flexability when using it.
Yep, you want a flash that has a tilting/rotating head so you can bounce the flash instead of firing it straight ahead.
I would recomend one of the official ones first since they tend to support the more advanced auto features in cameras better
Yep, if you use a Nikon Speedlite you get all the advanced features (like i-TTL and built-in wireless capability) you won't find in the third party brands.

The safest best is to get a Nikon Speedlite. Take a look at the Nikon SB-600 AF Speedlite.

I've got a D90 and have an SB-800 speedlite and love it. It comes in handy. I would recommend either the SB-800 or the SB-600. Though I think the SB-800 is getting more rare and the price keeps going up, so you might be better off substituting in an SB-900 instead.

Can I ask what is so different between these flashes? Is it the max fill-space?

Mark

the differences are usually recycle speed (how fast it recharges after it flashes) and the range

I have a D90 and use a SB-600 with it..usually off camera. I use it often. It works great. No complaints.

If you hadn't really planned for, or thought you needed a flash then the SB600 will cover everything that you hadn't planned for, or didn't think you needed.

I wouldn't think about the SB800/900 at the moment, and I would think that by the time (if) you hit the limitations of the SB600 you'll know exactly what you'll need from the SB800/900.

I was thinking about the SB600 also, because I dont like to use a flash much. I dont have any use for it as I am primarily shooting wildlife, but I also have alot of family who have family occasions quite often, so the SB600 would be good. And for almost any occasion I go to I think. When I decide to get a flash, I think that will be the one in which I get. Thanks for all your help.

Mark

Don't discount flash for wildlife work - a better beamer on a flash can get some respectable range out of the light - and that boost might be just what you need for the shot (course you have to make the shot count as chances are as soon as you flash your subject will be gone - but it depends - better as fill on a bright day than light on a dark evening

Most reactions

New Topics

Back