[Help] One of two mirrors(?) inside the camera is scratched?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by blackwalla, Feb 18, 2010.

1. blackwalla

blackwalla TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My sister borrowed my old Canon Digital Rebel XTi camera. She saw some dust while she was taking some photos, so she figure she'd clean it. She didn't cut her nails yet and tried to get to some tough areas inside the camera, and scratched one of the two mirrors(?) inside.

It's the one where it has the focus points printed on it; the one on top. I saw it somewhat has two layers (I think), so I was wondering if I could just replace the layer that was scratched and install a new one? Is that possible, or do I have to buy a new camera?

[​IMG]

If so, where can I get it replaced/fixed? Can I ask Canon to fix this even though my warranty has expired? (I'll pay them, of course.)

Please help me! Thanks!

2. williambarry

williambarry TPF Noob!

That is your focus screen. It's not hard to change at all... if you can get a new one. I think I saw somewhere that the price for a new one is approximately 11 dollars. Canon can fix it... but you are looking at a lot more money for something you can do yourself with some steady hands and some patience.

3. iskoos

iskoos TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. That's the focusing screen that's where the autofocus sensor is I guess. I didn't know it was that cheap and I also wouldn't think it would be an easy fix.
    I would not try to replace it unless I have some picture tutorial about it...

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If your worried chances are most good photography shops will be able to swap the screen out whilst you wait. Contact a few and see - chances are its a far more affordable method than sending it back to canon. You can also have them clean the camera sensor whilst they're at it (chances are they will do this anyway as such cleaning and processes are bound to brush dust onto the camera sensor)

5. williambarry

williambarry TPF Noob!

I am not recommending it at all. I would get it changed somewhere else. It isn't too expensive, but if you ruin your camera changing it... you are out of luck.

6. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

This company that sell split focus screen has instruction on how to install their focus screen to the camera such as your XTi.

Take a look at this instruction and see if it is something you like to do it yourself?

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install7.pdf

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You can leave it like it is. It won't show on any of your photos because the mirror covers it when you release the shutter.

It won't effect the AF because that module is in the bottom of the camera and light through the lens is reflected off a smaller mirror on the back of the big mirror.