Help please, choosing a lens (YAY!)

sunbeam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently shoot with a Pentax K20, and have the two kit lenses and a 50mm1.4, as well as a few 'non digital' lenses. I am not a pro, by any means, but I do get a lot of requests, and like to shoot mainly children/babies etc. but have been getting alot of requests for weddings as well (which I refuse to do until I have been a second shooter several times, have the right equipment etc) anyways, so weddings will be in my future.

Anyways, I am wanting to add a new lens to my 'family', and am looking at the
Pentax DA 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL SDM and the

Pentax DA 50-135mm F2.8 ED SDM

I definitely want a 'fast' lens, but cannot decide between the zoom capabilities of the 50-135, or the wide angle of the 16-50.

Any advice would be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

What focal length do you find yourself using on your current lenses?

Live free, I really like my 50mm for most things, but at times I don't like the fact that it is prime. I'm finding that with young, active kids, zooming in and out is a nice feature, but with families etc, I'm wondering if I would like the wide angle of the 16-50? It's just a toughy for me! So I'd love to know if anyone else uses either of these lenses.. pentax or not. THANKS :)

The fast, f/2.8 maximum aperture 16 or 17 or 18mm to 50 or 55mm zoom lens has become a staple for wedding and event photography when using a 1.5x or 1.6x d-slr body. Most of the 3rd party lens makers have a decent lens in that category, as does Pentax with its DA* model. And an all-around lens, their 16-50 f/2.8 DA* would make a good lens for all types of interior shots at weddings, reunions, and so on. Many people here will tell you from personal experience just how valuable it is to have an f/2.8 16-17-18 to 50 lens, and it is a valuable lens to have for many people.

The 50-135 zoom lens is harder to get a bead on. Far fewer people own a 50-135,and the range has imply not been popular. THere are only a handful of 50-135mm lenses that have ever been made, and a couple 50-150mm lenses, like the new Sigma. I own the Nikon 50-135mm f/3.5 constant aperture zoom, which is a really handy lens on 1.5x. For most outdoor shooting in social photography situations, something between 50 and 135mm gives you a lot of flexibility on a 1.5x camera. It covers a lot of useful focal lengths,and is not as large and heavy as a 70-200 or 80-200. In many situations, I would much rather have a 50-135 than a 70-200,just for the much more useful wider end coverage down in the 50 to 70mm zone.

I really like my 50mm for most things, but at times I don't like the fact that it is prime.

If it were not for the dislike of the prime, I would strongly recommend the 77mm limited f/1.8. It's a beautiful lens with bokeh like creamy butter and is built like a tank. I love it. Like you, I also like the convenience of a zoom. I went with the Sigma EX line for both the 24-70 as well as the 70-200. Both are very nice lenses. I might be tempted to look at the 16-50 if I didn't already have the 24-70. It was a toss up but I decided I wanted little more telephoto than wide angle.

Hm, this is a tough choice!! (Johnboy) I don't MIND the prime, but when you're dealing with kids, sometimes it's nice to have that flexibility, and I find with the 50, if you want to get a 'group' type shot, you've gotta stand so dang far away. So, I definitely would like the flexibility of the zoom... But talking about the bokeh and how wonderfull the 77 is... hmmmm I doooo love bokeh. Damnit! What to do.

I guess I should have mentions, too, that I am mainly on location, and I don't generally 'pose' ppl. So there is alot of running after kids etc. Guess that's why I think the zoom might be nice?

The fast, f/2.8 maximum aperture 16 or 17 or 18mm to 50 or 55mm zoom lens has become a staple for wedding and event photography when using a 1.5x or 1.6x d-slr body. Most of the 3rd party lens makers have a decent lens in that category, as does Pentax with its DA* model. And an all-around lens, their 16-50 f/2.8 DA* would make a good lens for all types of interior shots at weddings, reunions, and so on. Many people here will tell you from personal experience just how valuable it is to have an f/2.8 16-17-18 to 50 lens, and it is a valuable lens to have for many people.

The 50-135 zoom lens is harder to get a bead on. Far fewer people own a 50-135,and the range has imply not been popular. THere are only a handful of 50-135mm lenses that have ever been made, and a couple 50-150mm lenses, like the new Sigma. I own the Nikon 50-135mm f/3.5 constant aperture zoom, which is a really handy lens on 1.5x. For most outdoor shooting in social photography situations, something between 50 and 135mm gives you a lot of flexibility on a 1.5x camera. It covers a lot of useful focal lengths,and is not as large and heavy as a 70-200 or 80-200. In many situations, I would much rather have a 50-135 than a 70-200,just for the much more useful wider end coverage down in the 50 to 70mm zone.

Fantastic advice! I love reading Derrel's posts.

I'd say, having a kid myself, the 50-135mm to compliment your kit lens, and making it easier to chase children, is a great choice.

Glad to see another Pentax user :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back