HELP! please critique photos.

BigTphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
new to this forum. thank you in advance for your time and knowledge. i have been attempting to shoot a lot of rolling shots lately and i just cant seem to get a crisp shot. shooting with a canon T3i and tokina 10-17mm wide angle.
dateposted-public
dateposted-public

There are no pictures.

Re-load your pics. I've done a couple local cars. Im not perfect at them but I can probably help you out some.
2ekt43m.jpg

24oj.jpg

You did good. Got the shutter speed right so you had the wheel blur, but the car crisp in #1. Little dark, but good. Soft on #2, but good composition..

You did good. Got the shutter speed right so you had the wheel blur, but the car crisp in #1. Little dark, but good. Soft on #2, but good composition..
Thanks, I agree #1 is dark. #2 was my first time attempting panning shots. I was using 70-200 F4 and was focused on the intercooler of the car. Would have been a better/clear shot of the car if I would tried it at F5/F6 I think. Rookie mistake!

BigT, I managed to take a peek at them. For you others, right click, select "Copy image location", then paste in a new tab. You'll see them, two shots of a gray Evo with purple rims.

OK here we go. You're using some wickedly wide angles to get rollers from the lane next to the car. Ideally, for a rolling shot, you either need a rig or some more distance between you and the car you're shooting. Also, you need something to stabilize your camera a little better, as there's some motion blur in the car itself. You have the basic idea, though.

Adamjay, the first shot's been pretty well covered. The second, it's only a little bit soft. I think the reason there is less your aperture, but the rotation of the whole car and shutter speed. When panning, Shutter Priority or Tv is your absolute best friend, combined with auto ISO. The intercooler, headlights, and passenger are all in focus and it's not a BAD shot by any means. It's just those little picky things.

thank you for your time. one can only get better if he keeps trying.

Id say they are technically sound, but lack any real wow factor.

.. i just cant seem to get a crisp shot.
Please include the EXIF. What was the shutter speed? I see what I take as motion blur. Shooting hand-held from a moving vehicle, you're going to need a fast shutter.

What I did was match the shutter speed with the speed of the car..
Example- 60mph shutter speed 1/60

That's where I would start, take a few and then check. Keep shooting and trying different shutter speeds. Of all the pics I would take id say only half were clear/sharp. Doesn't help that most the time I was doing rolling shots I would be in another lowered car with bumpy ride.

Most reactions

Back