Help please! Please advise on Camera!

GreenmanX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Tonight, at the first meeting for my son's 2008 travel baseball team, the Coach asked who might be interested in being the Team's photographer. No one else stepped forward so I said that I would give it a shot. I need to take photos, action on field, candid off, and compile a slide show at year end. I barely qualify for an amateur photog.

I would like to take some really nice action photos. I have a Nikon CoolPix 4800 with 4.0 megapix/8.3x zoom (6-50mm 1:27-44). I am considering stepping up to a better camera, but don't want to spend a lot of money so I would like to by a used one.

Can anyone suggest a camera, or the specs of a camera, that I should look for?

Thanks (I will have to check back tomorrow for responses).

Ideally you would want a DSLR and used ones can be had for a reasonable price. I would look for 5 1/2 th 6 MP or better, and a couple of lenses. In a perfect world a 50mm f/1.8 (cheap) and a 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom (not cheap). You should be able to find a D70 or similar for around $400 and up, a used 50mm for $50-75, and a used zoom for $600 and up. Depending on the lens model, maybe way up. Shooting B-ball will test you and your equipment. If at all possible spend the majority of your budget on lenses. You will need f/2.8 and faster lenses and a camera body that can shoot at ISO 800 or better with good quality. Also, practice a lot when you get your equipment, you will need it to nail down panning and timing for your shots. You stepped up to a tall order for having never done it. Have fun and good luck.

Thank you, John. You gave me a lot of good stuff to think about. I appreciate the advice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back