HELP!! please?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mrs.hutch, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mrs.hutch

mrs.hutch TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't know where to start!? I have never worked with anything other than point and shoot, my 'photography' was always just artistic release and I could never afford actual equipment. Now that I have married my husband, we move a lot due to his career choice (military). I want to turn my hobby into a business, but I have no resources available for learning! I have asked other photographers here for help in getting started or finding classes, or even being 'an assistant' or 'apprentice' unpaid of course. but everyone says no! I'm sure they don't want to help me start because that would be creating competition for them, but I don't know what to do!!

What equipment do I need simply to get started? Do I need a DSLR right away? I have a sort of portfolio, but its mostly outdoors/nature/macro. I know photographing people is a bit different, but I need to start somewhere.

Any tips would much appreciated!!

2. choudhrysaab

choudhrysaab TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    to be honestly speaking i don't know anyone in Photography business who doesn't have a DSLR. You can get a DSLR entry level camera for $500 (either Canon or Nikon as well as Sony etc.)
    so if you can then do invest in a DSLR and start practicing. specially in Manual Mode which allows you to work with your settings.
    You can also join a Photography club, if there's any available in your area and learn a lot from those guys.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pick up some books on digital photography and get reading.

Huh? Internet and books... HUGE resources.

It probably has nothing to do with competition, it's more likely that you will just get in their way and be a distraction while they're trying to do their job.

If you're going to take photography seriously and try to make a business out of it, then yes.

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photography and business are 2 different things. As for photography, going to school is a good start. Since your profile said you are in Japan, so I really do not know much about photography school there. Any short courses available?

What about photo user groups over there? And flickr groups around your area too? Once you know more people and have connections, they maybe able to guide you more.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dao makes a good point about photography and business being two seperate areas of expertise. Trying to learn both at the same time is not a good idea IMO.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm you say you do a lot of moving around as part of your husbands job - that is something which will affect your business attempts, especailly if you try to setup a studio for portrait work; since each time you move home your going to have to get a whole new set of clients and build the market up again from scratch. Not an easy thing to do.

You say that you do some outdoors and nature work - and whilst willdife (generally speaking) has little return on it (most of the pros I have spoken to in this area make a majority of their income off teaching and runing trips rather than image sales) if you have an interest in landscape (as well as some skill) you can build on that since landcape work does tend to sell.

Of course the whole business side of things is highly dependant on your business skills, but also on your skill with the camera - both are things that you will need.

Focusing on the camera side I have this to say

1) Using a DSLR is not really a point of snobbery, but more about having control over the camera, being able to set settings to get a shot and control what the outcome will be, rather than relying on the auto modes in the camera. For though they might get a shot, you won't have control over the look of that shot.

2) For learning there are a number of ways you can do this
    a) The internet - forums like here are great places to make a start learning about photography and on getting some good feedback and advice on your shots. Join a few good forums and start to post your images (have a look in my signature at the critique link for some advice on how to post to get the best responces)

b) Local photography clubs - again this is a pretty cheap to free way to get some good learning advice, as well as some in the field help. It won't all be lessons and such, but working with and talking with other photographers will help you along a lot.

c) Personally I would advoid the online teaching resources - its all advice which you will get after taking the shot (the person can't be there in the field with you) and your effectivly paying for a service which you can get for free from good forums. Also whilst many offer diplomas and such, many of them are not worth the paper they are written on - in photography itsnot so much the qualifications you have but your work that you can produce.

7. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. mrs.hutch

mrs.hutch TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    as far as resources, i meant hands on. i read books, online articles, forums etc. but here, there are no classes (unless i learn fluent japanese) there is one guy that teaches a technical but you have to bring your own equipment (which i dont have at the moment because i dont feel like i know enough to justify spending a good amount of money on the camera). once i get a camera, i plan on taking his class, but until then i have no hands on tools. i learn best by doing.

i know how to take a picture. i know basics of both photoshop and paint shop pro. i understand composition, lighting, i guess you could say i have an eye for it.. i certainly have a lot to learn. im still very new to the photography world.

9. loopy

loopy Brave little froggy...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Time to get an DSLR! They've come down a lot in price over the last couple of years. I bought an entry level Pentax (KM) for just over $500 w/lense. The one thing I really like about this camera is the simplicity.

You may not think you know a lot now to justify a DSLR, but good photography comes from knowing to use your camera to the extent of its ability. So yes, if you want to futher your photographic interest, get a DSLR.

Oh and...welcome to the forum :)

10. lamborguini

lamborguini TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mrs. Hutch,

You need to save up money first in order to have a good entry level camera. as they say in school: photography is an expensive hobby........what I meant to say is how can you start a business if you don't have a core equipment you don't have? Like you mention, right now you don't have the means to get one or even go to school for that matter. I not trying to discourage you but just being on the realistic side.

True you know the basics in photography, but you still need a solid foundation to strengthen your knowledge in photography. Its just not shooting an image and get good composition.

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I fully agree that you don't need a certian level of understanding in order to justify getting some good equipment. With time, practice, dedication and practice will serve you far far better in the longer term than trying to upgrade through ever increasing camera models. Further some things are just not possible (or are hampered) in the point and shoot market - even if your using the highend bridge cameras).

How much you are willing to spend and at what level you enter is not something others can judge - its something that you have to work out for yourself based on your own determination and your own budget. Do look at the 2nd hand market as an option as well - you can get some good deals there if you know a reputable local shop.

Learning without handson tuition is not impossible (heck many of us here have learnt that way including me) and digital is free shooting (you don't pay to develop every shot) so you can fill a few GB of camera memory = take test shots - heck take loads of test shots - bring them back and review them on the computer. See how the different settings affected your shot and which ones got you close to what you wanted.
    I also fully second the book suggestion by HardRock - its a great book which many of us have read and own.