Help please!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by alannahrose, Dec 2, 2009.

1. alannahrose

alannahrose TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm going to school for photography and they are too nice during critiques. I'm looking for some honest feedback because I want to get better! My blog is AlannahRosePhotography.blogspot.com. If you decide to help out, could you please post comments on my blog? Thank you!

2. nickisonfire

nickisonfire TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No. I'm not going to comment your blog.

You have one post. That means you created an account and this was your first thing you posted? No introduction, no picture but rather you post a link so we can all comment your blog?

Out of curiosity I actually checked your page and none of your pictures did anything for me, I think you need to sharpen your photography skills some before you start posting things like this.

Sorry didn't mean to be harsh, just being honest.

3. EandSphotography

EandSphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Allanah,
    the pics of your grandparents are really nice. Whether anyone likes them or not really isnt going to matter in the future when you look back on them, TRUST ME. I recently lost my grandfather in January and i never even realized that i didnt have any pictures of me with him except one when i graduated high school 15 years ago. I think you did a great job and are lucky to still have both of them in your life. Capture every moment with them that you can. You'll be glad you did when your older.

Erik

4. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As a general rule, people aren't going to visit your blog. Partly because you're brand new to the forum and they'll view it as just wanting hits on your blog, but also because if you really wanted critique, you could post your pictures here.

Post some pictures here for critique and you'll almost certainly get a much better response.

5. alannahrose

alannahrose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is absolutely no need to be rude. I was asking for help because I want to get BETTER. I didn't say that I'm the best photographer in the world. I'm asking you for helpful advice. It's not about me getting hits on my blog, I don't want to post stuff on here because a lot of different forums say that other people can edit the pictures that I post. I don't only have pictures of my grandparents. I took those for them and posted them on there for him to see. And pictures aren't always about quality, they are about content. What I was showing is two people that have been married for 40 years and that they are still madly in love with each other. Another reason that I want my pictures critiqued on my blog is so that I can always find them easily and not have to dig through a bunch of replies. I posted this first because the reason I came here to have my pictures critiqued.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Alannah,
    Nobody is being rude; instead, they are telling you the somewhat "unwritten rule" of how this particular forum works. With one post, you come in, ask for critique,and ask that the responses be posted on your blog. Sorry, but that is not the protocol. The responses you've received are just like those received by the professional photographer lady who did the same thing last night...there is a system in place here. You are the newcomer,and you are the one who might be considered being less than gracious. "Your wants" and "your desires" probably will not be realized here, especially with two posts to your credit. Nor trying to be rude, but just lettting you know you're committing a breach of protocol,so the replies you'll get are probably going to be frosty. If you get any replies here, there probably will not be any difficulty in "sorting through a bunch" of them. Besides, saving a web page or two is pretty easy. Hard drives can hold hundreds of thousands of web page documents.

7. alannahrose

alannahrose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And doesn't this say this is the beginners' section of the forum?

8. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There is also no need to get so defensive right off the bat; not a good foot to start off on. Without getting into anything more, I'll reiterate that you'll get a much better response if you embed pictures here directly for critique. Just pointing it out as a general "way that it is" around here.

It's no harder to view your profile and all of your own posts or threads started than it is to sift through comments on your blog. Additionally, nothing stops someone from editing your pictures from your blog any more than it does if you posted them on a forum. You do have the "My photos are NOT OK to edit" selected and people will generally abide by that. Welcome, and good luck.

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, this is the beginner's section of the forum. Your blog is not the place for your photos to be discussed-THIS FORUM, itself, right here, is where you bring your work, via hypertext link, and right here, in this forum, is where the discussion takes place. Not on your blog.

If you want people to give something, you too need to give a little bit. For example, which photos do you wish to have critiqued? How many of them?

You say people are too nice at school; I assume you bring photos into class and actually SHOW the people the specific photos under critique. This is a grown-up forum. The rules and protocol here will not be bent to your wishes.
    Hundreds of people per year do the same,exact thing as you do, and the responses have become increasingly cold. As a beginner, several people have quickly told you how things are done here; I've patiently spent several minutes writing replies to you. I'll give you one bit of advice--you crop too tightly much of the time.

10. alannahrose

alannahrose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe that someone saying that I need to "sharpen your photography skills some" is rude. I came here for help. I didn't know that it sounded bad or that it would be offensive. I guess I was looking for a more laid back forum. And I'm used to being welcomed to forums almost instantly, not having to build status by posting. I wanted to post this to get it out of the way and then post on others threads. I'm sorry if I'm coming off rude, but it was the very first post I received that bothered me.

11. alannahrose

alannahrose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like I said, I'm very sorry that I was rude. Thank you for telling me the rules. How do I resize my pictures so that they won't be huge on here. I crop very tightly because that is what my instructor has informed me to do. If I don't I receive a poor grade and now I can't stop cropping! Thank you for being patient with me. I really appreciate it.

12. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This forum will actually automatically resize any images that are embedded, but if they're hosted somewhere slow they still take a long time to load, so it's not the preferred route. Most editing programs have the ability to resize. If you're using Windows, you could even look into something as simple as Microsoft PowerToys for Windows Image Resizer, that lets you resize any image from the right-click menu, just to provide one option.