Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I'm an idiot, and I just burned myself really bad...Besides running it under ice cold water for a long time, what else should I do? I can't remember my burn first aid!

To treat a burn at home, apply cold water or compress immediately. The cold water eases the pain and reduces the amount of skin damage. Apply the cold for at least five minutes. You can keep cold on the burn for up to an hour to ease the pain, but don’t go longer than an hour because frostbite could occur. If pain subsists, use a pain reliever such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen (Tylenol).

If the burn has caused blisters, be careful to avoid breaking or puncturing them. Blisters often break on their own, and when they do, allow the overlying skin to remain on the blister. It acts as a wet dressing, keeping the new skin clean and protecting it as it toughens up.

Don’t use anesthetic creams or sprays; they may actually slow healing. Antibiotic creams, such as Bacitracin and Neosporin, neither help nor hinder healing. It’s best to keep the burn and blisters clean and allow them to heal on their own.

I hope you are OK.....

I've always used aloe to help with the pain. Hope you feel better soon and that it wasn't too serious...OUCH!

First-degree: A first degree burn, such as a mild to moderate sunburn, may be treated with cool, wet compresses. If the burn is acquired suddenly (as when a child grabs a hot rock), immediate application of very cold water (not solid ice) may help limit the extent of the tissue damage. Oral administration of an anti-inflammatory drug, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, may provide considerable relief. For severe sunburn (“lobster body”), the administration of oral prednisone in a rapid taper (80 mg the first day, 60 mg the second, 40 mg the third, 20 mg the fourth, 10 mg the fifth) may be extremely helpful. Corticosteroids should always be taken with the understanding that a rare side effect is serious deterioration of the head (“ball” of the ball-and-socket joint) of the femur, the long bone of the thigh.
Topical corticosteroid creams or ointments are of no benefit in treating a burn wound. Anesthetic sprays that contain benzocaine work for a few hours, but may induce allergic reactions. They should be used sparingly. If no blisters are present, a moisturizing cream (such as Vaseline Intensive Care) will help soothe the skin. Aloe vera gel or lotion seems to promote resolution of extensive first-degree burns. Burnaid first-aid burn gel (Rye Pharmaceuticals, Marina del Rey, California), which also comes in an impregnated dressing, contains 2 to 4% melaleuca oil and is advertised to provide relief from the pain of minor burns and scalds.

Second-degree: A second-degree burn should be irrigated gently to remove all loose dirt and skin. This should be done with the cleanest cool water available. Never apply ice directly to a burn; this may cause more extensive tissue damage. Cool compresses may be used for pain relief.
After the wound is clean and dry, cover it with a soft, bulky dressing made of gauze or cloth bandages, taking care to keep the dressing snug but not tight. If antiseptic cream such as silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene) is available, it should be applied under the dressing. An alternative is mupirocin ointment or cream, or bacitracin ointment. A nonadherent dressing layer directly over the antiseptic is easier to change than coarse gauze. Another excellent covering is Spenco 2nd Skin underneath an absorbent sterile dressing. Spenco 2nd Skin is an inert hydrogel composed of water and polyethylene oxide. It absorbs fluids (so long as it doesn't dry out), which “wicks” serum and secretions away from the wound and promotes wound healing. Other occlusive hydrogel-type dressings are NU-GEL (preserved polyvinyl pyrrolidone in water) and Hydrogel, which can absorb up to 2 1/2 times its weight in exuded (from the wound) fluids. Yet another covering for a burn is a layer of petrolatum-impregnated Aquaphor gauze under a dry (absorbent) gauze dressing.
Do not apply butter, lanolin, vitamin E cream, or any steroid preparation to a burn. These can all inhibit wound healing, and may facilitate infections with increased scarring.
Dressings should be changed each day to readjust for swelling and to check for signs of infection. Be certain to keep burned arms and legs elevated as best possible, to minimize swelling and pain.
Blisters should not be opened, unless they are obviously infected and contain pus (this will generally not occur until 24 to 48 hours after the burn injury). If a blister remains filled with clear fluid, it is an excellent covering for the wound and will minimize fluid loss and infection. There is no rush to remove charred skin from a burn wound. As the wound matures and dressings are changed, gentle scrubbing will lift off dead tissue.
A victim with large areas of second-degree burns may need to be treated for shock.

Third-degree: A third-degree burn should be irrigated gently and covered with antiseptic cream or ointment or Spenco 2nd Skin, and a dry sterile dressing.
If a first-degree burn involves more than 20% of the body surface area and the victim suffers from fever, chills, or vomiting, a physician evaluation is required. If a second-degree burn involves a significant portion of the face, eyes, hands, feet, genitals, or an area greater than 5% of the total body surface area, a physician evaluation is required. Body surface area can be estimated using the “palm of hand” rule: The surface area of the victim's palm without the fingers represents approximately 1 to 1.5% of his total body surface area. All third-degree burns are serious and should be seen by a physician.

More to read

Thanks...I'll be fine...not quite an ER worthy burn, but not far from it...It woulda been a lot worse had I not remembered the cold water thing...I had it under the faucet in less than 5 seconds...now I have and ice pack wrapped around it...it feels fine as long as it's cold...as soon as it warms up a bit it hurts like hell. Which makes typing pretty damn hard! :) Thanks again....I'll keep it cold and wet, I guess...hopefully it will stop hurting soon!

core_17 said:
Thanks...I'll be fine...not quite an ER worthy burn, but not far from it...It woulda been a lot worse had I not remembered the cold water thing...I had it under the faucet in less than 5 seconds...now I have and ice pack wrapped around it...it feels fine as long as it's cold...as soon as it warms up a bit it hurts like hell. Which makes typing pretty damn hard! :) Thanks again....I'll keep it cold and wet, I guess...hopefully it will stop hurting soon!
Pop some Tylenol or something like that NOW, so it will lessen the pain you are most definitely going to feel for the next couple of hours. Keep taking it every 4 hours or whatever the recommendation is. Ice pack is good, so is the stuff mentioned above.

Honey, what in the world did you DO??? :hug::

terri said:
Honey, what in the world did you DO??? :hug::

You're gonna give me an idiot sign for this, but...I didn't realize that one of the burners on the stove had been left on, and I went to move something so I could clean the surface of the stove..my skin probably only made contact for a second or less...I feel like such a moron.

Ibuprofen is now coursing through my system.

That could happen to anyone, Corry! I've almost done that before myself. That's why I like gas stoves :mrgreen:

core_17 said:
You're gonna give me an idiot sign for this, but...I didn't realize that one of the burners on the stove had been left on, and I went to move something so I could clean the surface of the stove..my skin probably only made contact for a second or less...I feel like such a moron.

Ibuprofen is now coursing through my system.
That'll teach you for trying to clean the stove!! :-x

;)

terri said:
That'll teach you for trying to clean the stove!! :-x

;)

Hey...that is a good excuse not to clean!

"Sorry honey...cleaning is a hazard to my health...once the apartment gets bad enough, I'll just move out!" :)

Housework can cause injuries. It should be done only sparingly, usually right before you're having people over. :sillysmi:

Think he'll go for it?? ;)

Heheh...that's exactly WHY I'm cleaning right now! My photoshoot is tommorrow afternoon, so people will be in my apartment!!! :)

Don't know if he'll go for it, but he'd better not be bothered by the fact that the dishes aren't gonna be done til tonight...no way in hell I'm putting my fingers into HOT WATER!

core_17 said:
Heheh...that's exactly WHY I'm cleaning right now! My photoshoot is tommorrow afternoon, so people will be in my apartment!!! :)

Don't know if he'll go for it, but he'd better not be bothered by the fact that the dishes aren't gonna be done til tonight...no way in hell I'm putting my fingers into HOT WATER!
Here's hoping your photo fingers aren't affected by this injury!!! :shock: That would not be fun!

Most reactions

Back