Help- Really bad photo advice?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by beansprouts3, May 20, 2009.

1. beansprouts3

beansprouts3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The back story is this: for my daughter's first Holy Communion, we were told that we were not to use cameras during the Mass and that there would be a professional photographer who would be the only one allowed to photograph the children. We were given order forms from a fairly reputable photographer in the area. The package that I ordered was $22 and it included a 5x7 and 4 wallets. I only wanted the shot of her receiving the Eucharist as I took my own posed shots at home. (And thank goodness!) I picked up my photos yesterday and was quite disappointed, as you can well imagine. I understand that the photographer should be paid for her time, but obviously there is a TON wrong with this photo. Would it be fair instead of demanding my money back, to ask to be provided with the raw image to try and do some work on it myself? DO you have any other suggestions? I'm just so disappointed. It looks like something that someone shot with a disposable.
    ETA~ Photo removed. In my opinion, this photo completely lacked professional quality. It was out of focus, overexposed, and shot with a pop-up flash, creating harsh shadows. It was just not a good photo and it looked like something that anyone could have taken with a disposable camera.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would have a word with the ed coord.

I would ask for my money back or else the RAW original. That's on par with a shoddy wedding photographer.

3. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, it would not.

You should contact the photographer and explain that you feel that the image was printed too light (these is not a "ton" of things wrong with the picture) and you would like her to reprint the image. If she can't or won't, then insist that your money be refunded. You have no right to deman a copy of the original file.

4. beansprouts3

beansprouts3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1) It's not an event she could just reshoot. It's a once in a lifetime event.
    2) Apparently you missed the harsh shadows behind her and the fact that it's out of focus. So she missed the focus, the exposure, and her lighting is crappy. So yeah, there are a ton of things wrong in my opinion.
    3) I didn't say I was going to demand a copy of the original file- but simply request it. I would think that instead of losing money, she might be willing to provide me with the file so that I can play with it.

5. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The problem with the refund-only is that she then has no record of this event which in a Catholic family is a very important milestone in a child's life.

No, Beansprout has no "right" to the original file, but the photographer was to provide a reasonably decent photographic record of this important event and so far has failed to do so. If the photographer isn't willing or able to fix it herself and there is no other record of the event, then I think the photographer has an ethical duty to offer the file. It's the only decent thing to do AFTER being given a chance to fix it herself. The problem that remains is that if Ms. Sprout does a great job on the file and wants to print a bajillion copies off herself. That would be just as unethical, of course. I suspect that the image is fixable and this all will be moot.

Regardless, I think the first step is to talk to the photographer and see what they suggest first.

6. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Another idea, probably in addition to the actual event photo is to ask the priest to pose again for you with your daughter - it would be an obvious staged shot, but at least a pretty one and in 30 years hopefully no one will remember why it was done and only see how darn sweet she looked.

7. beansprouts3

beansprouts3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thank you Stella. And no, I do not want a bajillion copies of this- just one GOOD one for us to have as a remembrance.

8. Andrew Sun

Andrew Sun TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Until I read your post (I looked at the photo first), I didn't even know a professional photographer took that shot. I thought it was just some random person with a point-and-shoot with flash turned on.

I'm with you beansprout, I would be disappointed - as well as quite mad. Even if you get the RAW file somehow, the shot itself is just not great so I think the main lesson here is avoid that photographer from now on (saves you further potential disappointments).

9. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    OP. A head's up.

From the TPF FAQ's page:

" * You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated."

10. beansprouts3

beansprouts3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. I will remove it now.

11. BeemerPhotography

BeemerPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could link to the picture so that we could see it and that would not infringe on the copyright. :)

I agree that this situation should be fixed. Whether it's giving you the RAW file and/or staging the photo again.