Help resizing photo for printing.

SpikeyJohnson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone! I have a friend who would like to buy one of my prints to hang up on her wall. The photo is 17.853" X 11.553" @ 300 DPI. This equates out to 5356 X 3466 @ 300 DPI. We want to enlarge the photo up to about 47" X 30" but I don't know how to get this there without dropping the DPI by a bunch. Are there settings in photoshop that read the pixels around it and "create" similar pixels nearby? If anyone has any good tips or videos I can look at, let me know!

Thanks amigos. BTW sorry it has been a while, I have lots to show off to you all when I get a spare minute (school and work have been crazy).

Right now, I have all of CC and the Nik software on my desktop. I should add that we are debating between Canvas or Paper as well. I know that can change the process a little.

Actually, if you have LR, just set the output to the size in inches x 250 and it will upsize it.
If PS, Image>Image size then set the pixel sizes you want and leave resizing set to automatic

or you can actually buy special software but, according to articles, difference isn't crucial.

Canvas is more forgiving.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing anything wrong by just upscaling. I figured they had accounted for it in LR or PS. That's what I'll do then :) Thanks! I need to post the image so I can show everyone as well. I'll make a thread for that.

Canvas will be more forgiving but even on paper it should look fine.

Awesome. I'm about to throw a link out to the photo for everyone to see in another thread. I'm quite happy about this one :)

When you resize (enlarge) in photoshop you should also look at resampling the image. That feature is at the bottom of the "image size" dialogue box. There are options for resampling. For enlargement try "bicubic smoother" It will fix pixilation from going larger than there is information in the original file - however, you can sometimes loose some sharpness. Experiment to see what works best with your image.
upload_2015-3-16_8-36-0.png

This is an interesting article looking at a couple of programs including photoshop for enlarging images.

How to Enlarge Photographs for Printing

Hey everyone! I have a friend who would like to buy one of my prints to hang up on her wall. The photo is 17.853" X 11.553" @ 300 DPI. This equates out to 5356 X 3466 @ 300 DPI. We want to enlarge the photo up to about 47" X 30" but I don't know how to get this there without dropping the DPI by a bunch. Are there settings in photoshop that read the pixels around it and "create" similar pixels nearby? If anyone has any good tips or videos I can look at, let me know!

The "equates out" confuses me. It is a digital image, right? Not a paper print?
Digital images are exactly dimensioned in pixels, which then can equate out to inches on paper. The pixels are the all important thing.

You might want to first speak to the people at the lab that will do the printing. They very often prefer to handle the enlargement themselves, frequently with better software and more experience than we have. Ask their preference.

You can also see if some local has something like On One software's resizing software.
I guess is you contact me and send the file through dropbox, we transfer or big file transfer I could do it for you. It only takes a second or two.

Most reactions

Back