HELP- Screen went BLACK...So did photos.

Ok. Here are the photos from doing the Sensor Cleaning off the menu. It appears it is the shutter is stuck. Do you agree by the photos? I have 3 options and I would love input

#1- Bang it on something and hope I draw it loose as someone stated above. However, if this is the case, can anyone show me in what direction the curtain would fall so I know at what angle to hit it. (the curtain FALLS, correct so I would want to almost hit it flat in a downward motion, right?)

#2- I know it was stated to never never never touch the shutter curtain but it looks like it is layered. Couldn't I just take a tip of an x-acto knife or even something dull and just give it a little push down? OR- is that little metal rivet showing in pic 1,3,4 supposed to be on just one side? Could I just move that delicately to the left? What am I going to do...break it???

#3- Open to other suggestions.
(I already called and not worth it for me on the loyalty program.)

Here's the photos

Sensor001.jpg

Sensor010.jpg

Sensor014.jpg

Sensor015.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not ready to hit it yet...Just tried pulling the battery door while during exposure...However, my question is do you hit it while the shutter curtain is stuck or do you do it in normal mode? I can have the shutter stuck by simply running the "sensor cleaning" or putting it on TV and doing 30"

***EDIT***
I just followed this advice...I pointed it at me with my computer screen in the background and saw the white through my lens and when I pressed the shutter button, my lens DID go black...I'm sorry everyone but I'm confused??? This is what I did

To verify a stuck shutter problem, turn your camera to a manual mode using your instruction manual. Turn the camera around and look into the lens. Take a picture. You should see the center of the lens flicker as the shutter opens and closes. If you see no movement at all, then you likely have a stuck shutter.

Last edited:
Ok...This is a first for me so bear with me. Here is basically the order but I'm a bit skeptical after that last post (being able to see the image change from the front of the lens)

Was on TV and went basically 30", 3.2, 0.8, 0.4

If those pictures are from sensor cleaning mode, then yes it is a shutter problem.

You can break the shutter by messing with it, but it already has a problem, so I would try if it were me.

If you can, with out much force and nothing sharp (a Q-Tip maybe), push the rivet toward the bottom of the camera. If it doesn't move try pushing up toward the top of the camera. The first curtain opens down (closes up), the second closes down (opens up). Hopefully its just jammed with something small, if this does not fix it you are more than likely looking at a replacement cost, so go hog wild and bang it, use more force or whatever else you can think of that might get it going.

P.S. I take no responsibility if you attept these solutions and cause any damage to the camera, yourself or anything else, especially the Q-Tip.

The photos are from the "sensor cleaning"...the videos are simply set at other times. I'm kindof with you...I'm just looking for the best way to "dislodge" it...Again...what am I going to do???...break it.

First off, thanks to everyone here...I'm serious. I'm on tons of different forums and I don't know if I've seen such a nice group.

I figure...If it works...awesome. If not, well...it's still broken. Just a camera.

Should I do it while in the "clean sensor" mode? I would guess this would be best otherwise I'd be limited to time before the mirror snaps.

Just to clarify...I'll want to push down on the bottom left of the curtain. It appears to be 3 segments. I want to go for where the rivet is on the bottom left, correct.

If that doesn't work I should then go to the middle segment (2nd) and try to apply pressure an help force it up? (wouldn't my 2nd step be to go to that same middle area and draw the bottom segment down since it appears to overlap? Seems any kind of edge I would gain would be more helpful)

I found this video that shows how the shutter works in the first couple minutes of the video, It shows the curtain moving side to side, so I guess try every direction to make sure.

How-To Video - How Camera Shutters Work

And yes I would do it in sensor cleaning mode, 1 the mirror is up, 2 the curtain is trying to open (we hope), and 3 there is no power applied to the sensor.

While I appreciate the video and all the help, I simply didn't understand it. It seems to me it goes up or down (not side to side) but I'll be finding out in a couple hours.

Thanks again!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back