HELP sd card will not read via card reader

pacific1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am sure this is a dumb questions - which follows a dumb action - i accidently deleted some images - so have downloaded a recovery programme - but i must use a card reader - images are on a sd file and will not read via the reader - camera body is a canon d1 m3 - open to any help
tried different readers - tried different ports - will read direct from camera but not via reader and needs to be via reader to recover... hopefully

cheers steve

Only thing I can think of is that you have an SDHC card and your reader(s) aren't new enough to recognize it.

That's what happened to me. When I got a 4 gig card the old reader wouldn't show any pics. A newer reader took care of it.

Lots of USB attached card readers were in the production line without any support for SDHC when the 4GB cards started appearing. They were on retail shelves for ages. I still run into a few products here and there that can't do SDHC.

Note that plain old SD can support up to 4GB. But due to a misunderstanding of the specs by some engineers, many devices won't handle SD above 2GB. To deal with that, memory card makers made their 4GB cards operate on the SDHC specs, thinking that would solve the problem. It just changed the problem around.

Try a new card reader.... or just download from the camera all the time. I know that might kinda sound mean but its not ment too...lol but I wouldn't waste time pulling the card out of them.

Most reactions

Back