HELP! SDHC Card. My Nikon Camera says: Card is not Formatted. Format the Card. The card has pictures

Given that the OP has suddenly clammed up makes me suspect she's running software that's recovering the files as we type.

Or perhaps the zombies got her... that would stink! I hate it when the zombies come, wrecks the whole afternoon having to stop and kill them all...

Just checked, I am using PRK Restorer Ultimate. Last upgraded it in 2013 for $30

Their trial version will let you see what can be recovered.
As the card seems damaged you probably need to use Disk Scan and not File Search. You can also tell it to do a Raw file search and clear all selections and then in the Graphics file section select the type of camera raw file, such as NEF or if they are JPEG files. The Raw search is really to just speed up the search process.

I would try another card reader and also try connecting the camera with the card inside.

I'm on the Recuva website now and can download it. Question....Recuva says it recovers deleted files. If my pics are deleted from the memory card, will this still help?
Yes

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to recover with Recuva but no luck. See the attached.....
Look in the Recuva menus for any setting that enables raw files. (or whatever type files that are on the card).

If still no luck, call their help line.

If they can't help you, try a different recovery software.

If you still can't do it, try to find a local recover wiz that will get it done at a reasonable charge.

Your card is showing error messages probably due to corruption or any other reason. Do not use your SDHC card any further and try to recover your pictures.
You can try after restarting the camera. If there's no change then it is time to go for a new SD card.
Do not worry, your Old SD card is not wasted. Instead run a photo recovery software to recover back your old photos from SD card. You can also format your photos thereafter to get a almost blank and error free SD card. You may feel certain limitations of a free recovery program (file size etc) . But paid recovery software are sure shot a Win.
reference: www.retrievephotos.com

I've been using these cards for years and never had a problem. I'll start formatting after I get the pictures off of it.
So there's no way I can recover the images besides taking it to a photo shop?

If you would READ all of the replies you would see that one of them gives you the info to download a free file recovery program.
It looked like she downloaded the recovery program and got a file system error message that the drive was not readable. She even attached a screen shot to show us what was happening. Did you ironically fail to READ that part, or am I misREADing something in your snipe? She is having a bit of a professional disaster here, no reason to all-caps question her effort, is there?

I've been using these cards for years and never had a problem. I'll start formatting after I get the pictures off of it.
I never use the same cards for more than a year. I do weddings and I'm paranoid about card corruption. I keep the older cards for random stuff that isn't the end of the world if I lose. If these images are crazy important like a wedding or something I would not attempt to remove them yourself. I would bite the bullet and take them into a professional to remove....it won't be cheap but if they are important it will be worth it.

I hope she tried an older computer.

When I was restoring Harddrives I found 64bit OSes weren't good for recovery of older OS based disks. So I would have 2 or 3 different version computers just for disk recovery.

When one of my SD cards had an issue from my d600 my PC (Win7-32) wouldn't recognize it either. But when I put it in my d7000 it did, so I USB'd downloaded the pictures. Reformatted the SD and all has been good since then. I also format the SD cards in the camera now quite often.

At this point if she's stuck, I hope she took it someplace.

Of course, we may not hear from her again as she joined yesterday just for this post to get her pictures.

Of course, we may not hear from her again as she joined yesterday just for this post to get her pictures.

Awanderer was last seen:
Yesterday at 4:29 PM

If you would READ all of the replies you would see that one of them gives you the info to download a free file recovery program.
It looked like she downloaded the recovery program and got a file system error message that the drive was not readable. She even attached a screen shot to show us what was happening. Did you ironically fail to READ that part, or am I misREADing something in your snipe? She is having a bit of a professional disaster here, no reason to all-caps question her effort, is there?

Nope read that. There are several recovery programs for just that situation. My reference was to the comment about searching Google for such apps. I was perhaps remiss in not alluding to the specific comment, but then again the error may have been to overestimate the intellectual capacity of some readers. oh well.

MjM.

Don't panic and hyperventilate. Odds are, your images are there. You just need to find the right tools to get at them.

It's kinda like forgetting the numbers to a safe. The contents are still in the safe, you just need the combination to open it.
Ok so I went to Sandisk website and ran a scan of pics that can be recovered. They all showed in the preview. If I want to get the pics back with Sandisk software, I have to pay $40. Is there any other software that can do this for free or at least cheaper?

I never use the same cards for more than a year. I do weddings and I'm paranoid about card corruption. I keep the older cards for random stuff that isn't the end of the world if I lose. If these images are crazy important like a wedding or something I would not attempt to remove them yourself. I would bite the bullet and take them into a professional to remove....it won't be cheap but if they are important it will be worth it.
This was a brand new card. My luck!

Ugh....I feel for you I really do.

MjM.

Don't panic and hyperventilate. Odds are, your images are there. You just need to find the right tools to get at them.

It's kinda like forgetting the numbers to a safe. The contents are still in the safe, you just need the combination to open it.
Ok so I went to Sandisk website and ran a scan of pics that can be recovered. They all showed in the preview. If I want to get the pics back with Sandisk software, I have to pay $40. Is there any other software that can do this for free or at least cheaper?
Don't know what your time and stress are worth, but given the level of urgency you've conveyed and the level of effort you've already put into this, $40 sounds like a bargain to me.

Ugh....I feel for you I really do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back