Help? Setting up XF 35mmF1.4R on Fuji X-MI

oshungoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I have zero knowledge of cameras and was just gifted with a beautiful Fuji X-M1 camera with a XF35 mmF1.4 R lens.

I have the lens on the camera and this is about as far as I can get :)

A couple of questions...

1. What are the numbers on the side of the lens e.g. 1.4, 2, 2.8, 4 etc. and what should I have it set to?

2. Also, should I adjust any of the settings on the camera menu?

I just want to be able to play with this camera outside…taking nature shots and candid photos until I can start a photography class.

Thanks in advance for your help! Any helpful feedback appreciated :)

Pretty nice gift.

Here's a link to the instruction manual for your camera: Fuji XM-1

You should read it before trying to use the camera.

The numbers on the lens (1.4, 2, 2.8 etc.) are the f/stop values for the lens. Your camera/lens combination will allow you to chose between having the camera automatically select the f/stop value (see manual) or you setting the f/stop value manually using that ring on the lens.

The lens has an aperture or iris inside it that functions much like the iris in your eyes. It opens and closes to allow more or less light to pass through. Those f/stop values are a ratio between the lens focal length and the size of that iris opening and as such they tell us how much light the lens is passing on to the sensor.

The lens iris, in addition to controlling how much light passes through the lens, also controls a phenomenon we call Depth of Field (DOF) which you can learn about here: DOF Master.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the additional information…it is still another language for me, but I will review my manual again an look at the DOF Master link you sent.

Oshun

Thank you, Sashbar!

Most reactions

Back