help shooting a car

Apex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
my friends father owns a 1955 bel-air that he asked if i could shoot a while back but ive been busy with work and whatnot but i think i might call him and tell him i will do it. the only thing is, i want to be ready and not waste time thinking about what we could do. i was thinking parking it near a local steak and shake and take some shots giving it that 50's diner look. any other ideas? im open to trying anything. also, any suggestions as far as camera settings/lenses/time of day to be shooting with? i thought maybe i could try hdr out and download a trial of photomatix.

my gear:
D50
18-55
50 f/1.8
55-200VR
polarizer
tripod

thanks!:hail:

HDR of an old diner type shot would be pretty cool.

I've been searching for an old building with some graffiti or something to use as a backdrop for some car shots that might suit your needs well.

When I shoot cars I use either my 18-55 or 50 f/1.8. You can get some cool close-up stuff and really utilize the shallow DOF with the 1.8.

ill definately be taking some shots of the logo so the shallow DOF will come in handy there.
and if i remember correctly, there is a hood emblem on it that sticks out a bit so i could probably do something with that.

as far as the backdrop im not sure how you would go about doing that... sorry im a noob :p

any other ideas?

edit:I amost forgot! he installed a blue underglow to match the car and it looks amazing at night. that will definately be a shot im looking forward to

Be careful with the underglow shots. Its going to be tricky as it gets dark. I would assume that around sunset is going to be your best bet with the lighting on that one.

By backdrop I mean you could just find something cool for him to park the car in front of (like your Steak and Shake idea) so that you don't have just randomness and possibly distracting things back there.

Don't forget to post the pictures afterwards by the way.

I don't see it in the gear you listed, but if you can get your hands on a 10-20mm, it makes for some cool shots wide open.

Apex....if you are going to spend some time at this, suggest you think ahead (winters comin') and get some clean shots against a very plain background. 3/4 front and rear (from both sides) and straight on front and rear.

When you have time, you can do some outlining and drop the car onto any background you like. Fun project for those long winter days.

If the owner has done some under the hood work, get tight stuff of the engine compartment. Head/tailight details and so forth.

The 'golden hour' early evening is always going to give you some nice color.

Don't shoot everything at the usual height, think of interesting angles. If they don't prove out, you don't have to use them.

Oh, and I didn't always shoot horses before.

thanks for your ideas guys, i appreciate it.

this probably wont happen for a little while unless i can catch him at a time thats convenient (or if i can convince him to let his son drive the thing).

Jon, thats a great idea, it could come in handy if i had any other ideas. it would definately make it much easier to cut it out from the background.

Anywhere near route 66? A drive-in?

have a good one
3Eo

Search for posts by Xmetal. He does a lot of car photography.

One technique I learnt off him is to take a photo of the engine with the bonnet up and then with the bonnet down. Then you fade away the bonnet so you can see through into the engine.

Another one, is to attach the tripod to the car and then drive the car around in a circle. Put your shutter speed to about 1/10s or 1/20s and drive at about 5k/hr. Then you end up with the car sharp and the background all blurry like in those fancy car magazines.

Xmetal even did a little tutorial up for it. I'll try and find the link and post it here.

Here it is! http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18283

God.... re-reading my old posts is sooo embarrassing! I sound like such a little kid in a candy store! But it's true! I love this stuff.

I have to say that sunset or a little before it would be your best bet. Like the car off to the right parked, the diner to the left, and the sun just barely peaking over the horizon would be an amazing shot.

I have to agree with alot of the above post execpt whatever you do dont use a Steak and Shake. Man cmon there has to be something around you a little nicer than another corporate pile of neon lit garbage.

now that you mention it, that was an extremely dumb idea. :oops: theres an actual 50s diner around here called annabelle's thats still up and running, no route 66 or drive in though.

meysha, i would love to do something like that. unfortunately i cannot see the picture of how to set it up in the thread you showed me (im at work right now). im guessing a shock cord is just a bungee cord? that sounds simple enough.

im going to try to take it during sunset or at least during that time of day so it will make it more dramatic. hopefully my ideas of some angles arent too boring, ill go and try to find some pictures (that i can see from work) in the forum with some good angles and whatnot.

thanks for your ideas guys.

Sounds like a great idea. I would try shooting in the early morning or in the after noon. depending on which way the sun is pointing. but anytime in the day is fine. also take lots and lots of pictures that way you will get a ccouple of good ones. that's it good luck!

should i use my polarizer to get rid of some of the glare off of the car? i would be using a tripod so the slower shutter speed shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Most reactions

Back