Help shooting on white background

dmdellicolli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to photograph old spoon's on a white background. Right now I am just working outside in the sun (its actually sort of overcast today) with a speedlight. I can never seem to get my whitebalance to actually capture the white background as white. I also have a lot of reflections to deal with. I really need some guidance here to get better results. I am shooting with a d40.

I have studio lights and a pop-tent at work, but have had poor results with those in the past as well (i think i need more than two lights).

HELP!

If I'm not mistaken, your speedlight and an overcast sky are no the same color temp, so whichever one you balance to, the other is going to colorcast.

I would use the light from work. Maybe something like a semi-high backlight for you main, and some low angle front fill to bring out the spoon edge? Just geuss, I'm trying to figure out lighting too.

brighter closer light?

heres a fast PS i just whipped up

whitespooncopy.jpg

I would get a cheapo light box from office depot, shoot with bottom illumination and a few other lights indoors.. have seen great results. Then you can hopefully represent the patina very accurately, if as was pointed out your not fighting between color temperatures. -Shea

Quick PS, keeping spoon colors:

westminsterpd2-MOD.jpg

I was cutting out a bunch of stuff today at work, so I did a quicky on this one, too. I may have over done the drop shadow. Most of the time it's easier (for me) if I'm prepping a pic for something small like this (products on a website usually), I'll just cut the item out and place it over a white layer so that I can color correct or adjust the levels on the item without worrying about the white background overpowering things. FWIW...

-joe

spoon.jpg

I wonder about maybe suspending the spoon from something transparent or something you can clone out in the middle of a light box. Might be interesting and avoid the shadows somewhat.

I wonder about maybe suspending the spoon from something transparent or something you can clone out in the middle of a light box. Might be interesting and avoid the shadows somewhat.

I didn't save the .psd, but if I turned off the drop shadow then it looks kind of unnatural. Since I did it as a cutout, even the slightest shadow on the edge helps clean things up...

-joe

Here was my editing technique:

I use PS (almost any version will work).
-cut my outline using a brush through a quick mask /save it as a new alpha channel
-duplicate the background layer
-make a selection of my new alpha channel (mask)
-apply that mask to my top most layer (add a layer mask)
-create a new layer between the top and bottom layers and fill it with white
For a natural shadow
-I duplicate the top layer
-and then completely desaturate the layer below it
-Then using a soft brush I bring back areas of the layer mask that were originally cut out to reveal the natural shadow.

My opinion: Shadows for product images are much more natural when they are used from the original shot. So, bringing them in through a layer mask seems to work for me. Also, when we create shadows that were not in the original photo we tend to give a more processed look. However, many of the painted in shadows on this thread look great!

newspoon.jpg

Most reactions

Back