Help: Shot of the sun with new lens

tdz16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this shot and a couple others like it at a wedding Saturday, what is causing that "rip" where the sun is? I can take my own educated guesses but I was hoping someone here could tell me what caused it exactly and how to get rid of it. Polarizing filter, UV filter? Thanks in advance.

~Tom

35mm
f6.3
1/4000 sec.

DSC_0077.jpg

... you should never take a picture like that again... if you continue to do so you will rip the space time continuum and we will all be sucked into a black hole forever ending all existence... i kid i kid

i actually kinda like the rip in the sky BUT (NOT 100% SURE ) i think a lens hood and a uv filter could help take that out :D

like they said... i assume it's flare... though i've never seen flare quite like that...

doubt a hood would even help in this situation cuz the camera is pointed right at the sun... the hood wouldn't block any of it...

That's not lens flare around the sun, for the most part--that's the sensor not being able to handle the intensely bright sunlight...the weird spikes are overloaded pixels that could not handle that intense sunlight. The green blobs and the red splotch in the lower left hand corner are lens flares.

I like that answer about ripping the space-time continuum!!!

Heat is the number 1 killer of electronics. Those spikes are intense thermal noise.

Remember as kids using a magnifying glass to burn paper?

That's what you did with that rather lengthy exposure with the Sun in it. You over heated a small part of your camera's image sensor.

Somewhere in the first few pages of your camera owners manual is a list of cautions and one of them is against making images with the Sun in the frame because it can start fires.

They fail to mention the fire could well be inside your camera. ;)

LOL .. sorry i just got this funny image of a cartoon character putting a fire cracker in a camera and having it blow up on his "enemy" when said enemy takes a shot of the sun

....rather lengthy exposure with the Sun in it.

exif said:
Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/40000 second ===> 1/4000 second ===> 0.00025 second

:scratch:

I still think it's a terrible idea but 1/4000 of a second shouldn't hurt the sensor.. you would think..

Am I dead wrong?

....rather lengthy exposure with the Sun in it.

exif said:
Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/40000 second ===> 1/4000 second ===> 0.00025 second

:scratch:

I still think it's a terrible idea but 1/4000 of a second shouldn't hurt the sensor.. you would think..

Am I dead wrong?
It's only lengthy for having the Sun in the frame.

Thanks for all of the replies.

I feel like I've taken shots similar to this before with other lenses and didn't have any issue. I normally rock the circular polarizing filter on my 18-135mm lens that I use most often, would that reduce the issue?

I do try to refrain from taking many shots into the sun. I know its not particularly good for the sensor.

Thanks again for the help.

~Tom

It's not lens flare and it's not "thermal noise," it's what astronomers call "blooming." Basically, if you think of a pixel as a bucket for light, the pixel got filled up and "spilled" some of the light into neighboring pixels. Due to how the sensor is made, it does this in one direction only, in this case the vertical one. I'm a bit surprised, though, since most sensors made these days have anti-blooming built-in.

Ok let's get to the real burning question. Did little Tommy melt his sensor or not??

Ok let's get to the real burning question. Did little Tommy melt his sensor or not??

If it's what I think it is, not. I don't think the sun is intense enough to melt a camera sensor after such a short exposure time.

Most reactions

Back