Help! Sold bad SD card by unkown company. Digitalfilm.

anubis404

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I bought my D40 from Barclay's Photo, I was sold a "DigitalFilm" Ultra High Speed 2gb SD card. I want to know who makes this card. I called barclays and they will not refund it because it has been past seven days, however I tried searching the internet for "DigitalFilm" and I got nothing. Has anyone heard of this company, or know how I can contact them?

What is wrong with the card?
They may not be willing to refund you, but they should exchange the card for you.

They're not even willing to exchange. I've lost hundreds of valuable photos when I get the message "please format" in the middle of a shoot. When I turn it off and back on again, all my photos were gone, and past deleted photos are still on there. Tried computer format and in camera format. Nothing.

Do yourself a favour and get a 2GB SanDisk Extreme III from Amazon for a stupidly cheap £12. Memory is cheap, so there's no reason to be buying crappy, unknown brands anymore.

I don't know where you are obviously but if you're in the UK then the 7 day no refund thing is a load of bullsh*t. It's completely illegal, if the product is faulty and discovered to be so "within a reasonable time" then you are entitled to some form of redress. Reasonable time is determined by the self life of the product not arbitrary time limits imposed by the retailer.

All that said if they refuse to pay up all you can do is take them to the small claims court but who's gonna do that for a memory card? I think you have to accept you were stung and slander their name all over the net. It's a small revenge but it's something

One thing to remember, this may apply if you shoot RAW.
Always leave about 10 shots left on the card, if you fill it full you can corupt the card. Never ever format the card when you get an error, go try it in another PC. I had one give me the same problem, on PC could read it, the other could not. But once it is formatted there is very little chance of image recovery.

I agree with Resin42 that 7 days is not reasonable. Are they a brick and mortar store...local? Raise some hell.

I also agree with SpeedTrap to not fill the card completely.

One last thought, buy a reputable card. The knockoffs are usually just that.... knockoffs.

Sometimes errors like that can be a fault within the camera too. Try a different card and find out for sure.

Do yourself a favour and get a 2GB SanDisk Extreme III from Amazon for a stupidly cheap £12. Memory is cheap, so there's no reason to be buying crappy, unknown brands anymore.

It was sold to me by a salesman. I didn't know it was a no brand until it arrived in the mail.

Luckily, I yelled at a Barclay's salesman and finally they agreed to exchange it. I paid $40 for that card, thinking a high speed would help me. It doesn't. I'm just gonna sell it on ebay brand new and put it toward a lens or something.

Most reactions

Back