Help/Suggestions with PP on this pic

It is a great shot, and you have gotten a lot of really nice editing ideas!
But I thought it looked really good right from the start! :)
Thanks man! :)

1: it's unbalanced. To me this is where people mess up rule of thirds. Rule of thirds is about creating dynamic balance, ie not purely half and half. But you still need a balancing element on the other side of the frame of some sort (in some cases implied movement or an eyeline can even serve as that balancing element). Here the horse is looking down and mostly stationary. So there's nothing from the horse to help with the balance. The background actually compounds this issue, since the mountain peak is also right above the horse. The image feels left side heavy. In cases like this I feel that rule of thirds can actually hurt more than help intermediate photographers. They think "okay, gotta follow this rule" without really thinking about (or knowing about) where it came from.
I don't really think that I've got to follow the rule, but I've also never thought about balancing the photograph the way you've explained, so that's one lesson I learned today. I'll keep it in mind fjrabon, thanks a lot!
2) There's just enough depth of field to want more. The mountains in the background are just sharp enough to want them to be completely sharp.
How can I work on that? Do you mean something like focus stacking?

BTW I really liked your edit, I couldn't make it work in B&W but this one does it IMO. Did you burn the sky?

I haven't been out of state in 12 years. :(
:lol: Now is as good a time as any :)
I didn't burn the sky, I used a red filter simulation for the B&W conversion.

I think you just need to shoot at f/11 to get the DoF I was talking about. Focus stacking would work but probably isn't necessary. If I remember correctly from looking at the exif it was shot at like f/3.5 or something. Given the small sensor f/11 would probably be all you need.

I didn't burn the sky, I used a red filter simulation for the B&W conversion.

I think you just need to shoot at f/11 to get the DoF I was talking about. Focus stacking would work but probably isn't necessary. If I remember correctly from looking at the exif it was shot at like f/3.5 or something. Given the small sensor f/11 would probably be all you need.
:lol: That wouldn't have been possible. I shot this one with my P&S, not the D100, and that only supports upto f8. I do realize now what you mean about the increase in the dof, it had completely slipped my mind that I didn't stop it down much.

As usual I'm late, here is my take on your lovely pic
my_take_o.jpg

As usual I'm late, here is my take on your lovely picView attachment 102762
You are a magician! How much time did this take you? I don't know whether it's the clouds, but the mountains look so much better in your version than in mine. If you by any chance have the psd file, I'd love to have a look at it. This is amazing work, thanks a lot Binga.

That's nice. Great work! Where is?
Thanks marioasantos, this is in a place called Dayara bugyal in India.
Beautiful shot as is, Raj!!! I've gotta say though- I like The_Traveler's crop, and the way jovince3000 brought up the shadows on the horse! I'd be happy to see those two edits combined.
Thanks a lot Jazzie, I'll give it a go for sure! I've some time to spare tomorrow, I'll fiddle with this one and see how much I can improve it :)

That's nice. Great work! Where is?
Thanks marioasantos, this is in a place called Dayara bugyal in India.
Beautiful shot as is, Raj!!! I've gotta say though- I like The_Traveler's crop, and the way jovince3000 brought up the shadows on the horse! I'd be happy to see those two edits combined.
Thanks a lot Jazzie, I'll give it a go for sure! I've some time to spare tomorrow, I'll fiddle with this one and see how much I can improve it :)
India should be one of the best places for landscape photography.
Maybe one day I'll go to India. It hope it will be just for photography...

I'd like to add a huge WOW!! to what Binga did (to an already nice photo).....That's why I keep coming back to this site.

And...nice to see you Raj, I always enjoy your work when I peek in here.

As usual I'm late, here is my take on your lovely picView attachment 102762
You are a magician! How much time did this take you? I don't know whether it's the clouds, but the mountains look so much better in your version than in mine. If you by any chance have the psd file, I'd love to have a look at it. This is amazing work, thanks a lot Binga.
Thanks Raj ....I didn't keep the psd ....so I'll do it again tomorrow and send you a dropbox link of the psd

I'd like to add a huge WOW!! to what Binga did (to an already nice photo).....That's why I keep coming back to this site.

And...nice to see you Raj, I always enjoy your work when I peek in here.
Thanks for the kind words Desi, it's really very nice to see you again too! And yes, Chris is amazing. :)

I couldn't remember exactly what I did and I didn't extend the pic this time but here it is as promisedView attachment 103046 and I'll leave the dropbox link up for a week so that you can pull it apart Dropbox - 18346651765 9f22d6d9bd o 1 .psd
Thank you so much Chris, you probably don't realise how much help this one was. I really learned a few new things just going through that psd. I spent a considerable amount of time on it, I'll try a version of my own with my own clouds and stuff to see how much of it I can really replicate. Thanks again, you were very helpful! :1247:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back