Help the college kid out!

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by schmidty2, Jul 25, 2008.

1. schmidty2

schmidty2 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey guys! My name is Nate, and I'm a Graphic Design student looking to finally buy my first DSLR, but I'm not too sure where to start. I have had my eyes on the Nikon D40 for a while now, but have recently been struggling with my final decision because I don't know if I should "go bigger...". The other two I was looking at is the D60 and Canon XSi.

Also, I found a website that sells good package deals for really CHEAP (because I'm a college kid, remember?). Is it too good to be true, or the real deal?: BroadwayPhoto.com

Thanks for listening, and I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

2. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
  3. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah and if I remember right arent they under like 3 or 4 other names or, is that one of the other more common ones that popup. The most reputable dealers to name just two I deal with are B&H and, Adorama.

4. ryan7783

ryan7783 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey schmidty, I sent you a PM but I don't know if it went through

5. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    well, personally, I shoot Sony and love love LOVE my a700, but if you're only chosing between the canon and nikon, i guess i'd say either the d80 or XSi, if you're buying any used lenses, you'll have trouble with the d40 because it only takes lenses with a motor in them.

6. Zansho

Zansho TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Broadway Photo folks are big bait and switchers. I'd avoid them if I were you.

Instead, shop at B&H or Adorama. Both have used DSLR's for sale too, and often you can get a refurbished 30D (which is what I think you should go for) for around 500 dollars.

First word of advice - don't get too caught up in the megapixel hype. 8-10 MP is plenty for what most people do, unless for some reason, you plan to print billboard sized prints. For that, I'd recommend a large format camera and a nice scanner.

I'd also go to a camera store and play with the bodies. XSI is a bit small for my hands, even with a battery grip. I love my 40D and 5D, they're perfect, and they also have a better control layout than any of the Rebel Xseries.

7. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if the XSI is anything like the XTi in size, then yea, its too small for my hands as well. I think the nikons have a deeper grip and sonys have even deeper grips which was one reason i chose the a100 as my first DSLR. I only have experience with some higher end nikons and sony though, pretty much no canon