Help Transitioning to FX in Stages

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Chopster01, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Chopster01

Chopster01 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a Nikon D7200 and a couple of DX lenses, but I want to move up to FX. Economically I could only do this in a couple of stages. Here are three possible first steps I am considering. Is one clearly better than the others? Is there one I haven't thought of? I primarily shoot street, people, and events that often have difficult or low light. I do some landscape, too. Not a professional, just a very avid amateur, and don't do studio work.

These three first-step options each cost about the same, within a couple hundred bucks:

1. Buy a D750 with a kit 24-120 f4 lens (versatility, but a slow lens).
    2. Buy a D750 with a 35mm f1.8 lens (less versatility, but a fast lens.
    3. Go for glass first and buy the 24-70 1.8 VR lens, which can be used cropped on my D7200, and get the D750 as Step 2.

Thoughts? Other options? All help appreciated.

Charlie

2. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Slow" lenses are becoming less and less of an issue these days given the ability of modern DSLRs and software to deal with high ISOs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chopster01

Chopster01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! So are you recommending my first option?

4. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you think 24-120 will work for you, go for it. I found it too short so I upped to the 28-300. I think it's a helluva lens. I have D600s, so the D750 would be even that much better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Chopster01

Chopster01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll check that out. Thanksagain.

6. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What is a 24-70 1.8 VR lens? as in ONE point EIGHT ?? Do you mean the 24-70/2.8 lens?

just remember all FX lenses work on DX cameras.
    When I first bought my D7000 I only bought FX lenses after the initial kit lens.
    I then bought a D600, and now use a D750 as my primary camera.

You might as well make the jump with #1 if you have the funds.

What are you going to do with the D7200 ? Are you going to keep it or is it going to help fund the transition?

7. Chopster01

Chopster01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Typo. Sorry. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a 1.8 version?
    I'm a little confused. You say you yourself bought FX lenses to use on your DX body (sounds like #3 to me) first, then upgraded the body, but you recommend option#1, buying the D750 with the kit lens. The cost of each option is about the same right now, so that part is about equal. In the end, do you feel that's better than what you did?
    At first I will keep the D7200 and the lenses as backup, but would contemplate selling them after I take the plunge, either to help offset the sticker shock or help finance my next step.

8. benhasajeep

benhasajeep No longer a newbie, moving up!

You can use DX lenses on the D750! Unless your selling everything to buy the D750. You can still have some lenses to use. Just the output will be in DX mode on the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I bought a D7000 with the kit 18-105 lens
    Then I bought a 50mm/1.8 AF-D lens.
    then (some of which I bought maybe in the order I bought them) ..
    24-85 / 2.8-4.0 AF-D
    80-200/2.8 AF-D
    18-35 AF-D
    then other lenses. By buying AF-D lenses I used the in-body motor for Autofocus and saved tons of money compared to the modern AF-S lenses. For my purposes it worked out great.

Then I bought a refurb'd D600 before I bought the 18-35. But I would have gone a D600 - 24-120 bundle if I could have afforded the bundle.

It all depends upon your budget.
    Mine was small incremental steps.

By going to the 24-120 you'll learn more about your shooting habits (at what focal length you shoot).

Plus, I needed the FX s 2 stops faster at low light than DX for astrophotography work. So the camera body was a bit important to me. I also do sports, but back then it was smaller kids fields so focal length wasn't a problem with the 80-200. Now on a full size field I'm thinking of a 70-300 AF-P as the 150-600 is overkill as I'm at 150-300 on it with the 150 too long. On the D500 I had the 150-600 I was at 150 - 200 .. so the 80-200 worked better. But still with 80x1.5 it was still too long on the short end.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chopster01

Chopster01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So far this seems to be the most recommended course, FX body first with slower kit glass rather than fancy glass first with FX body later. Thanks.

11. WayneF

WayneF No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

The 24-120 mm is a fine general-purpose walk-around-all-day-with-one-lens solution. Equivalent on FX of the 16-85 mm on DX (maybe better). The new models have plenty of ISO performance, and three more EV of ISO makes it match a f/1.4. That has not been an issue, even in the dark European cathedrals. :)

I have the three f/2.8 lenses including the 24-70, and I use them at home. A f/2.8 lens at f/4 performs a bit better than a f/4 lens at f/4. But they are heavy, and I take only the one 24-120 on extended trips like one or two week cruises or tours. It has never disappointed. I also have a 50mm f/1.8 which I have absolutely no use for.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1