Help - Truly a BEGINNER to photography

cjt_7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been taking pics of my children & their sports teams for several years now with my Kodak Easy Share DX 6490 & am enjoying it but feeling so limited with what I can do. SO I have a couple of questions...

1. I need to learn more about lighting, ISO, camera shake & so much more I can't even intelligently ask what I need to learn. Where would be the best place for me to find the resources I need to learn about getting started without becoming overwhelmed with the wealth of information. It will still be done as a hobby although people are asking me to take pictures of their children because I always have my camera with me at sporting events, school banquets, etc.. (It is quite embarrassing then when the lighting is bad or the pic is blurry) My philosophy is if I take many pictures surely I will have several that I will be able to use. :D

2. I am trying to save up to buy a digital slr but don't even know where to start looking or what I should look for in a camera. Again, I mostly take pics of my family (birthdays, Christmas, etc) and sports photos (softball, basketball, track, cheerleading, volleyball because my children participate in all of these)

Any help or suggestions would be great & it is safe to assume that I know very little :)

I have been taking pics of my children & their sports teams for several years now with my Kodak Easy Share DX 6490 & am enjoying it but feeling so limited with what I can do. SO I have a couple of questions...

1. I need to learn more about lighting, ISO, camera shake & so much more I can't even intelligently ask what I need to learn. Where would be the best place for me to find the resources I need to learn about getting started without becoming overwhelmed with the wealth of information. It will still be done as a hobby although people are asking me to take pictures of their children because I always have my camera with me at sporting events, school banquets, etc.. (It is quite embarrassing then when the lighting is bad or the pic is blurry) My philosophy is if I take many pictures surely I will have several that I will be able to use. :D

2. I am trying to save up to buy a digital slr but don't even know where to start looking or what I should look for in a camera. Again, I mostly take pics of my family (birthdays, Christmas, etc) and sports photos (softball, basketball, track, cheerleading, volleyball because my children participate in all of these)

Any help or suggestions would be great & it is safe to assume that I know very little :)
From your words, you need more than is reasonable from a forum, especially with many persons with varying opinions. Check out your local high schools. Many have evening adult education classes on various subjects, including photography.

Thank you for the reply - I will certainly read up on the link you gave me when my brain isn't "mush" (been helping the children with their homework)

Have a read of the links in my signature, they detail a lot of stuff about shutter speed, ISO, aperture and how to adjust your camera settings.

Very useful links tiberius. I recommend any of these links as it will give you so much more control of the shots you take.

tons of links in my sig too. :wink:

I humbly suggest a good photography guide book to answer the basics. It is not hard. Check you local library.
Also keep your eyes open for someone else who has a camera with them always, make friends and learn fromeach other. I am always glad to help and I know most others are also. Just grab them during a break in shooting- and don't bothre some one who is getting paid to take pictures- they will have too much on there mind.
Keep shooting and remember the light needs to be on the front of your subject most of the time, and the lens points away from you. LOL
Judge Sharpe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back