Help understanding color in this photo

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Cinematique, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Cinematique

Cinematique TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello,

I'm trying to understand what happened to a role of Provia (probably Provia, maybe Velvia - lost track of what films I was using) I had cross-processed this week. I'm used to my chrome photos having a magenta cast, but the hot, overbearing reds are unprecedented.

And then what can I do to correct this color in Photoshop. I understand that the photo probably can't be saved entirely, but my M.O. is to shoot in sort of imperfect situations (weak light, open aperture, long shutter, etc.) and then make minor corrections to the levels.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(I'm not sure how to embed the photos so I'm setting up the following link.) http://www.essaysandfragments.com/for-review/blown-red/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Double H

Double H TPF Noob!

Around the corner from the Turkey Hill, PA
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been doing a lot of scanning, lately, of 120 negs on a Cool Scan 9000. The Nikon Scan 4 software allows you to save out as a NEF file. From there, you have a ton of control in ACR, or my app of choice, Lightroom.

3. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That doesn't look like it can be saved...

I mean, the reds are totally saturated, not sure that there's anything there to go back to...

If you're worried about accurate colors, why are you cross-processing your slides?

[​IMG]

4. Cinematique

Cinematique TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm not that interested in color accuracy but these are just too far off. I like to keep effects to a bare minimum, in-camera only, but these look like overboard effects or 60's nostalgia.