Help w/ Graduation Photos

seandeeeezy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.seanporterphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
That time of the year is upon us, and I've had a couple friends ask me if I could do their graduation photos for them. I've shot portraits just for fun, but I've never shot graduation photos before, nor done anything like this for money.

What are some key aspects of graduation photos that will make them an overall better shot?

I'm just a bit nervous because these are moments these people only have once in their life. So I'm just wanting to make sure I can get the best shot of my capability and give them something memorable to look back on.

You have talent and wonderful photographs scrolling on your site. But portraits? If you haven't done those much, your best bet might be to let the friends know you appreciate them thinking of you and asking, but you don't have the experience. (Or if they want photos at the ceremony and you haven't done events, same thing, thanks but no, or at most offer a candid or snapshot if you can get anything good from where you'd be seated).

Maybe you could offer a suggestion or help them figure out where to look to find a photographer. If they want good photos, like many things it's necessary to hire a pro who knows what they're doing.

edit - Looking further I see what seems to be inconsistency, which happens I think when learning and developing skills. I think some of the outdoor and scenic pictures are your stronger photos at this point (the barbed wire series seems to show how you're seeing and photographing subjects/scenes in an interesting/unusual way). Think about if you want to take on something you're not sure you can do yet and take a chance of feeling like you disappointed your friends. At some point in the future you may be ready.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back