Help! What lens should I use?

Luzswan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, I have a fun photo shoot coming up, my best friend's hubby is into BMW's he races them. For his birthday, she would like to take pictures with his car, and make a calendar for his shop, of his wife and his car. I'm so honored that she would like me to do it, I'm really nervous though! My question is, it's an outdoor shoot, we found this really cool gas station, it's all deserted, and rusty, really cool looking. We're doing it in the afternoon to try to get some sunset pics too. I have a 28/200 lens and a 55, I thought I would need a wide angle to get the whole car in the pic right? what lenses would you recommend I use for these pictures? and do you have any shot suggestions. I'm looking to rent the equipment for the day, so anything I may need, please suggest! These will not be noppi shots, we want it to be tasteful, not trashy. More art, than just a chick on the hood of a car, he may as well buy a car magazine u know? Thanks for any advice!

Welcome to the forum.

You didn't tell us what camera you have :scratch:

A wide angle can tend to distort...especially when close up. Sometimes that's desirable, sometimes not. A wide angle will also tend to separate objects in the foreground from objects in the background. A telephoto will tend to compress those things.

A telephoto lens might be a good choice, as long as you have the distance to work (back up).

If the light is fading and you are shooting hand held, you will probably want a lens with a large maximum aperture. A tripod might be a good idea.

sorry! I have a rebel xt. Thanks for the advice. I should stick with what I have then. That's great news. I do have a tripod. I'll def use that.

we want it to be tasteful, not trashy. More art, than just a chick on the hood of a car, he may as well buy a car magazine u know? Thanks for any advice!
I never understood why "trashy" is looked down upon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back