Help!!! What on earth?!

Too bad about your lens.

I would only use a UV filter on a really expensive lens...for protection.

A polarizer, on the other hand...I use quite often.

Big Mike said:
Too bad about your lens.

I would only use a UV filter on a really expensive lens...for protection.

A polarizer, on the other hand...I use quite often.

The guy at Helix recommended, as a low-budget solution for me, using my 58mm polarizer with an adapter ring but ONLY use that ring when I want to use the polarizer; never store the camera with the ring on. I think that's a great solution. I could skip the whole UV thing too, then. That way, the lens will at all times be either 1. capped or 2. polarized and shooting or 3. exposed and shooting. So it'll be safe I think. Besides, the glass is really far down inside the tube and it's nearly impossible to bump it on anything.

DocFrankenstein, I didn't think a UV haze filter would wreck image quality...but if it does, yuck! I think I'l follow your advice. (I won't return the UV filter though....I'll hang onto it in case of hazy landscapes). ;)

Thanks for hte help everyone!

A $9 filter is money well spent when protecting a lens. It's not that much glass to go through, so if you're just shooting for fun keep it on. If you're really setting up for an artistic shot, then take it off if you're concerned about image quality.

UV Filter on any other lens might be necessary to protect against scratch, but definitely not the f/1.8! Unless you really try scratching the lens, the design of the lens doesn't really allow room for damage as most other lens do ;). Honest! The glass is quite "deep" inside the lens as you can see, it's just not possible to "accidentally" scratch it. However, do hang on to it.

Dust and junk that gets in there can be removed easily by a blowerbrush ;).

Most reactions

Back