(help) Wildlife trek need opinions..

CameronSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
cameronsmith.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well In sep. I will be going for a 16 day 100 mile trek around Mt. Rainier is seattle.

I have not looked into batteries but I will need to bring a couple i'm guessing. (DONE)
Same with memory cards.. (DONE)

I will be bringing my 40d and MIGHT be renting a "lens".

Even with the weight I am thinking of bringing a 100-300 for animals etc.

I was also thinking about a wide angle for landscapes and being able to get stuff when where in the "woods", But i do not own one as of now..

I was also thinking about getting a cir polarizer and maybe a NDx4 or NDx8

What are you opinions on what i need to bring?
Filters? Lenses?

SO FAR

Batteries = 20.00
8gb Sandisk = 60.00

Last edited:
My Sigma 50-150 f2.8 isn't very heavy and I would certainly bring that if I were going on a similar trip (along with my teleconverters and a monopod).

I would also bring my 17-50mm f2.8. I'd probably leave my 100-300mm f4 at home -- too darn heavy if this is a foot-trek.

On the batteries front have you considered solar cells for recharging them? I think a few round here have tried this for longer trips away from electricity.

Oh and make sure to take plenty of memory ;)

Oh yes, bring a polarizer!

Camera batteries are cheap, if you don't buy the Canon brand ones. You could pick up 5 or 6 (or more) for the price of a solar charger. Not to mention that the sun rarely shines for very long in the Pacific Northwest ;). Check out Sterlingtek.com for cheap batteries.

Usually, when hiking like that, every pound and every ounce is considered...so you might want to think about how much weight you can devote to camera gear.

So you want to rent a lens? What do you have now? For landscape shots, I'd be lost without my 10-22mm.

On the battery I think i am going to buy a solio if i can find one cheap'ish.

And yes weight is a thing, but i am bringing a 40D (not the lightest of the canons) so I will bring what I need,

Really wanting to get a canon 70-200 2.8. and maybe that 10-22.

I have a monopod, and I will be buying/bringing some tubes..

What do you guys recommend for memory?

Also do you think a polarize filter would be the best thing to bring? I can bring more then one..

I love my Sigma 10-20, but if I were trekking on foot, I might leave it home and just live with the wide end on my 17-50. I like my 4GB Sandisk cards, but my 30D is an 8 MPix, so you might want something bigger (or something like the Wolverine to download them to).

depends on the amount you shoot - some 4GB or 8GB cards should be plenty. You might also want a small portable harddrive for backup if you wish - though for hiking I think its too much to bother adding to the weigh and packaging.
As for other filters consider a very good UV filter for the 70-200 f2.8 -- I say this as the lens on the f2.8 is big, wide and has harly any plastic rim to it - to me this makes it vulnerable when out walking around (branches polking past the lenshood is my worry).

Wolverine ?
wolverine.jpg

backup? Well I guess once it has it few people will be willing to take it away - of course you have to get it back as well at some point.................
*ps not my photo*

depends on the amount you shoot - some 4GB or 8GB cards should be plenty. You might also want a small portable harddrive for backup if you wish - though for hiking I think its too much to bother adding to the weigh and packaging.
As for other filters consider a very good UV filter for the 70-200 f2.8 -- I say this as the lens on the f2.8 is big, wide and has harly any plastic rim to it - to me this makes it vulnerable when out walking around (branches polking past the lenshood is my worry).

Im not bringing a HD.

Its easier to just bring cards.. (where should I buy them)?

Do anyone remember those old rose glasses that would make everything amazing? do they make a filter like that? JW.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A circular polarizer is indispensable when the sun is shining, that would be my only recommendation for a filter, unless you want to use UV filters for protection as well. There are plenty of other filter options, but most of them can easily be replicated in photoshop, so don't waste space in your bag.

I've heard that people like newegg.com for cheap cards...Costco seems to have good deals as well.

You can get cheap batteries, I like Sterlingtek.com

Another filter you might consider is a graduated ND to help with the high brightness difference between horizon and sky

and a set of ND's if you're planning to shoot waterfalls.

Most reactions

Back