(help) Wildlife trek need opinions..

Ok quick question about filters, How do i know what size I need, If i renting a 70-200 and it seems its a 77mm?

But I never really noticed if the sizes are different on all differnt lenses....

I wouldnt want to buy filters and then find out it only works on one lens

Yes, the sizes change depending on the lens (my 17-50 and 50-150 use a 67mm, my 10-20 uses a 77mm, etc.)

The manufacturers website will give you proper filter sizes (it is also labelled on the lens). With the Cokin system, you get one filter holder (I'd recommend the P or the Z series if you shoot wide-angle) and then you get various cheap threaded adapter rings for your lenses.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Your filters must fit your lens. With the cokin system, that is done with adapter rings. With screw-on filters, get the right size to fit your lens.

If you go Cokin, I would recommend the wider series (P or Z) so they can be used on wider lenses as well as standard lenses.

Well they make step up rings correct?

So say I own a 72mm lens now, But I would like to buy a lens that is 77mm in the future, would it be better to buy 77mm filters and use a step up ring from 72 to 77? is that even possible?

Hmmm .... I've never used step-up rings, so I'll defer ...

I think you would want step down adapters. So, you buy a 77mm filter (for your rental and future lens) and get the adapter to step down to 72mm filter size for your current lens. Two things to keep in mind though, 1) no lens hood and 2) no lens hood. Meaning your filter is out there ready to get abused. I have one, but it is a situation of mounting the adapter and filter, take my shots, remove adapter and filter, move to next location.

Don't bring that much memory......If you loose that card or something happens to it, you're screwed royally. Try some 4GB.....alot of them. Just keep that in mind

~Michael~

I would take the 100-300mm and the 10-22mm.
The 28-135 I would consider a good walkaround lens, but a little short for true wildlife or further off subjects and a little long for some of the big landscape shots. The 100-300mm is much more suited for the wildlife walking as it has the range to it, whilst the light 10-20mm will let you get some truly wide landscape shots

I'd agree with Overread if you didn't want to bring all 3. Frankly, I'd miss my mid-range (17-50) and would probably lug it along too.

Thats what I was thinking,

Now does anyone want to support a poor old 17 year old
kid trying to get enough money to buy a used 10-22?

If anyone is selling one, Please let me know!

I really cant bring all three.. Its just not enough room and the bag im bring i can only fit two..

Most reactions

Back