Help with 4x5

XitzpatX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im new to the magical world of large format. Does anybody have any good sources for learning 4x5 photography? Like light loss form bellow movements, aperture changes ( like shooting at f/16 to get the whole frame sharp when using 35mm film), easier ways to find lenses and lens boards that fit correctly, etc. Much appreciated

I use an app for my iphone called reciprocity timer it calculates the total exposure taking into account reciprocity, bellows extension and filters.

But I would also say to check out http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php
You will get much better answers to your large format questions there then you will here.

You may also take a look at Film And Darkroom User forum, they are pretty much hardcore guys.

A useful machine shop which you should be aware of is Sk Grimes, skgrimes.com

They can mount any lens to any lensboard. I had a simple barrel and flange mounted to a linhof board for about $50, I requested a quote for a very large threaded lens to be mounted into an M42 adapter, and tehy would only charge like $125.

They do amazing work.

Buy and read Ansel Adams books. (you can get them used from abe.com usually)

There is a lot of great information in them still and if you're going to shoot LF, somebody is going to ask you about it so you might as well go ahead. ;)

Buy and read Ansel Adams books. (you can get them used from abe.com usually)

There is a lot of great information in them still and if you're going to shoot LF, somebody is going to ask you about it so you might as well go ahead. ;)

+1

Most reactions

Back