Help with a flashgun

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Amadeus, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Amadeus

Amadeus TPF Noob!

I got a new flashgun and thought it will be easy to use, but it's not. As the flashgun is Conon's speedlite 580 II, it doesn't work completely automatically on my OlympusE-400. Could someone help me? Where could I find the basics of how to use it? (I have the manual, but I still don't get it...) I was planning to volunteer as a photographer for my son's school, but I would definetly need the flash for indoor pictures... Thanks for help!

2. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not a flash expert but I would switch it to manual and point it onto walls/ceilings etc to bounce the light onto your subject. Remember the colour of the walls you bounch off can tint the image you get though.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That flash was meant to be used with a Canon camera...not an Olympus. You might be able to get away with using it by setting the power manually...but certainly not in auto (TTL) mode.

I might suggest that you return the Canon flash any look for an Olympus FL50 flash.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry if I sound like a jerk, but wasn't this glaringly obvious before you bought it?

Return it and buy an olympus flash, if you want to use a canon one, than use a canon camera.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Honestly if the flash is a Canon-dedicated flash and has more than one pin on the bottom you should stop using it immediately lest you damage the camera or the flash.