Help with a name!

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all! I was wondering if you could think of any good names for this photo. It was taken, obviously, on a beach in Tanzania, Africa on the island of Zanzibar. It will be printed and hung in a friends home so I need something...substantial, haha. Also, if you have any alternative border suggestions, I could use those as well. I'm diggin' the white but am not to sure about the width or name placements.

Oh, and any CC as well :)

Thanks in advance!

Boat.jpg

Does it need a title? I think just the location at the bottom might be enough.

Also, I'd make the border a little wider on the bottom than on the top (just move the image up a little bit).

Yea I guess it doesnt need a name...just thought Id try :)

Heres a question: I agree with you about it being wider on the bottom. But the way I do borders is to adjust the canvas size, and it does it equal on top/bottom and sides. How do I do them individually?

Heres a question: I agree with you about it being wider on the bottom. But the way I do borders is to adjust the canvas size, and it does it equal on top/bottom and sides. How do I do them individually?
I'm not sure of the best way. Is the image on a separate layer from the background? If so, just activate the layer and move it up.

Or, I'd just create the border like you have, then select the image part (magic wand the border and inverse the selection), then move it up that way etc.

i was going to say exactly what big mike was going to say. it doesnt need a title it says it all in the photo.

Hmm, alrighty then!! No title!!! Thanks guys, huge help :)

1)shipwrecked, 2) the castaway,,3) my little dingy :mrgreen: I like that one :mrgreen:

Haha, I like my little dingy too!!! Im going with the no name though...thanks so much for the suggestions!!

So hows this?

Boat-1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

How's about "S.S. Minnow"

Sorry, from the moment I saw it I thought Gilligan's Island for some reason...
Oh Well, I'm weird like that :)

Don't ruin that photo by making it black and white. I think the original version's frame is fine if the text is going to be there, otherwise make the frame square, but I think keeping it white does the photo justice.

Thanks so much!! Yea I think I prefer the color, but it seemed like a good shot to at least try in black and white :) Appreciate the feedback SO much!

Yes, keep the color.

I think the new border is now a little too big on the bottom.

I tried to find a link for you, about why you want to make the bottom border a little bigger. The basic idea is that the image (or the shape of the image) has visual weight...so when we look at it, our brains tend to imagine that the shape is exerting a downward force on the border and compressing it a tiny bit. The effect is that the lower border looks a little bit smaller, even though it's the same size as the upper one.
To correct for this, we increase the lower border, ever so slightly, and then it tends to look more natural or pleasing to our eyes/brains. It doesn't need to be much...maybe an extra 10% of the size of the other border.

I do like how you evened out the top & sides though, that looks better.

Thanks Mike! Wow thats interesting about the borders...never would have thought of that.

Most reactions

Back