Help with a project - Disortion - See Photo

Help-dis.jpg

Corrected the verticals and the leaning heater and reduced the distortion of the barrel on the wall

^ Wow, I have no clue how you did that, but nice job.

For future reference, you'd be better served using fixed focal length lenses and creating profiles for each lens/aperture combination or a combination of fixed focal length lens and a Gigapan Epic Pro head, a combination I make use of frequently.

You did say a client, so I'm guessing you're doing some level of "professional" work.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to get a better handle on your tools and their use. Architectural work demands a different equipment profile and skill set than shooting portraits weddings or lifestyle work does. There are far too many "professional" photographers that are incapable of even the simplest of issues and technical challenges, i.e. keeping buildings straight, eliminating distortions (best done pre capture, e.g. choice of lenses, point of view, etc..) basic color balancing of different light sources, etc.

Looking through some of your posted images, you seem to be a generalist, not a bad thing, but some focus would go a long way towards truly exceptional images. For example, your food photography ( in this thread) while good, isn't exceptional. Lots of technical issues, small details missed, excessive or insufficient DOF, poor plate dressing, distracting shapes in the background, etc. Not atypical of work seen contemporaneously, but not up to the standards I'd consider professional. IF you really enjoy food photography, spend some time with a food stylist, you'd be surprised how good even the most simple foods can look. Or get a few books from the library on food styling and spend some time playing. Get up close and personal with the product, everything I see today looks like somebody's instagram photo of their lunch. We used to use 4x5 and 8x10 view cameras to shoot most product and food work, a DSLR is a whole lot easier, yet harder at the same time without any real control over the plane of focus you lose a very important ability, only partially remedied with a tilt shift lens.

^ Wow, I love and hate looking back at my old work. Hate it because I think "I thought THAT was good" and love it because I can see how much better my images look now.

I will keep at it and keep getting better.

^ Because the job paid less than the cost to rent a tilt / shift lens.

^ Because the job paid less than the cost to rent a tilt / shift lens.
then why waste your time with it? A workable alternative would have been to to do a multiple vertical and horizontal panorama. Quite easy actually with todays software.

Photos had to be exactly 12:8.

Don't worry about what I should have done, since you don't know the details, the work has been turned in, client happy, check cleared, moving on.

Most reactions

Back