Help with a wide shot

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I was just having some trouble merging these two photographs (I didn't have a wide angle with me, just a 50mm). I also took this with no support, so when I try to merge the two, some of the things (truck, car, and building on right) don't align.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

017_009.jpg

016_010.jpg

This is easy to do because there is some space between two of the people and all you have to do is make the jnuction in that space.

Using PS I opened up your top picture.
That needed more space on the right so I increased the size of the canvas to the right pasted the other picture over there.
(When you paste something in, PS automatically puts that pasted portion on another layer. ) I reduced the opacity of this new layer to 50% and then, using the move tool, and the arrow keys, moved it over and around until the slats on the space between the tool girls on the right lined up. (This worked out well because both pictures were perfectly horizontal - well done).

Voila, the join was unnoticeable. If necessary I could have made a mask and masked out any imperfections but this seemed fine as it was so I just cropped it to a rectangle and posted. The Ps file will be at http://download.yousendit.com/1693F34B0225C0CE for 7 days if you want to look at it.

If your in this type of situation again step back get everyone in the frame with your 50mm then on your computer crop out just the group. Traveler did a good job merging the two photos but I feel it is an unnescessary step.

I would have stepped back farther but I was almost hit by a truck taking these. It was on an island in NYC.

Thanks again.

If your in this type of situation again step back get everyone in the frame with your 50mm then on your computer crop out just the group. Traveler did a good job merging the two photos but I feel it is an unnescessary step.

This provides a much higher resolution file versus cropping.

cf.: http://www.getty.edu/art/gettyguide/artObjectDetails?artobj=52343&handle=li

Severely cropped version of a long and long-lens photo, the full image of which is on page 39 of "Walker Evans: The Hungry Eye." Nine people together on the bench, brought in tight by the long lens. Think telephoto and you won't need digital stitching! And you might not have to dodge trucks either.

We couldjust respond t the picture posted but why not give some advice for the future. The editing you did traveler was great. I guess the thread should have ended there. I find its good to get advice for the future as well. Try stepping back and cropping if the image looses toomuch resolution then I guess it was bad advice but might as well try it. I have cropped small parts out of pictures and blown them up quite large and find the loss of resolution is not noticable unless your real close. I amalso guessing that this photo willnot be blownup to 3 ft wide either. If it is I stand corrected.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back