Help with Abstract

Jake42

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was like my second shot at abstract photography. I myself like them (because i took them) but please give me some help/tips. Only polite critisism please. Thanks

http://flickr.com/photos/64192575@N00/sets/72157594538200266/

If you absolutely have to have me post all of the pictures up on here, then tell me. if it is necesary. Thanks. Polite C&C. o, and keep in mind that im a begginer!. lol. Thanks.

First tip, try to find more interesting subject matter. I don't see these as "abstract photography" as much as pictures of stuff laying around the house. I would say that, out of the bunch, the most interesting would be the bottle of pills. Pay attention to your backgrounds, the bottle photo shows a towel or curtain or something hanging in the background that is quite distracting. The white moulding distracts the eye as well. The ball in the one photo is out of focus and it also has a busy background.

Keep practicing and viewing many of the other great photographers photos on the forum. You will quickly pick up a lot of tips and some inspiration for your own work.

Cheers

i agree with the "stuff around the house" part.

however i will add that most of us if not all of us were where you are now! so keep it up

I should mention that as well, I am by no means a pro myself. Everyone starts somewhere. You've obviously got the photography itch. Scratch it as much as possible. You'll only get better. :)

Thanks for the support. other forums just yell at me for this type of stuff. :\

Like others, I would not call those "abstarcts".. more like still lives.

For me, in an abstract piture (I may be wrong, though) you cannot distinguish the subject so easily. You isolate part of the subject in a manner that is interesting, but it loses it's identity. Don't know if I'm making myself clear.

For example, if you isolate part of a car's front grill, find an interesting point of view and make sure you have good lighting, you can have an abstarct shot, where the car is not even recognizable.

my friend took an abstract photo she took close up pic of fan and noone was able to guess it was a fan. pretty neet. try being very close to the subject or dont take the whole picture of the subject. take just a half u know what i mean? or a lot of fun stuff is when u cut any fruit in a half and then get close to it, take pic it looks almost human especially strawberries :).

oh dont forget about the light. light is the key to a good lookin picture, at least thats what i think :) hehe

Thanks for the support. other forums just yell at me for this type of stuff. :\

Well hopefully you've found a better place to be. I've only been here a short time myself and I have only noticed one or two remarks that I would refer to as snotty. Anyone that would cut you down for trying is entirely too full of themselves. :)

Anyone that would cut you down for trying is entirely too full of themselves. :)

I completely agree. However in asking for polite criticism only is there really any point in being critical at all?

I think by asking for polite criticism the OP was meaning be nice. Sometimes when critiqueing a picture you can't be nice. the picture is just so bad that there isn't anything good to say. It's almost like asking, please say nice things about my photos.

In the OP's pitures i find them to be a bit uninteresting and they all seem to have a colour cast. No one has mentioned that but it's vital the light is good as someone did mention. The contrast seems a bit low on them too. And the colours also look to be a bit washed out. It's probably all connected to the lighting. So one fix might cure all the above problems.

Sometimes you have to be told something isn't good otherwise you'll keep on down that road producing rubbish. Criticism by it's very nature is sometimes not pleasant but if no one ever tells you it's not good or not right then you'll never know and never improve.

One other thing to remember is that in 99.9% of cases criticism is not personal. So don't take it as a personal insult.

In abstract photography, you can't recognize objects from reality. Your shots are way to "recongnizable" ( I hope that word exists!). Thats just my opinion.

I see your point Darich but I would venture to guess that what the OP meant by, "polite criticism", was constructive criticsm. He mentioned that people on other forums have yelled at him for posting photos like these rather than politely explaining what they see wrong with them which I hope I did in my original reply.

Yes, thats wat i meant. and yes, u did have polite criticism. well, thanks everyone, im gonna be workin harder and harder on getting better at this. Thanks.

Oddly enough I found the comfortor the most interesting of all those photos. The ball was definately out of focus, in order for that photo to work the ball I assume is the main focus and therefore needs to be sharper. I am as well very new to this, but I feel as though a photo is only worth taking if it evokes some sort of emotion, whether it is abstract or not... in the case of an abstract photo, it should be even more emotional, what were you going for with these paticular items? Again, I am also new, and trying to learn as well. These are just my opinions.

Most reactions

Back