Help with an old camera. And hi there btw.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by renaissance, Jun 23, 2004.

1. renaissance

renaissance TPF Noob!

Hi everyone. I recently found this old camera while digging through some old junk. It seems to be in good state and I thought I'd try to find out whether it can be of some use, so if you people can help me out...

The brand/model I'm guessing is Dacora Dignette, which is written on the front; around the lens it reads: DACORA Kamerawerk Reutlingen dignar 1:3,5/45mm.

I've taken a pic of it with my dodgey webcam, so that you can take a look at it:

[​IMG]

I'll be grateful for all the info you can give me about this piece of technology. I've read a couple of books on the basics of photography but I've had no practical experience whatsoever, so just regard me as a photo newbie. Thanks.

2. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I haven't seen this particaular model. The Dacora's I'm familiar with use 120 roll film, and are completely manual. Focus is by distance scale on the lens.

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

Your Dignette camera was manufactured between 1954 and 1960 by the Dacora Kamerawerk in Reutlingen. Originally located in Reutlingen, the company name went through a series of name changes such as Dangelmeier (1952), Daco Dangelmeier (1954), Dacora Kamerawerk (1970) and finally Dacora Kamerawerk at Munich (1972-1976). Equipped with a Dignar lens (1/300 shutter and f/2.8 although there are other lens/shutter combinations), the camera is your basic Viewfinder type 35mm camera. While not a highly collectible by any means (value today anywhere between $30-50) it sure can add a 50s flavor to any camera collection. Run a film through it, see what will give.

Hope this helps.

4. renaissance

renaissance TPF Noob!

Hmmm, thanks for the quick feedback :) I'll try to take some shots with it then... but first I need to figure out how to open it, ha ha.

5. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're quite welcome!

To open the camera you'll need to look on the sides to locate something that looks like a slide and then push it up or down until the back opens, or pull all the way up on the Rewind knob. Good luck.