Help with camera (body) & lense choice?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by voyageaimer, Nov 28, 2017.

1. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Agreed.

The image quality of my D610 is fantastic, don't see any reason to upgrade to get that maybe 5 percent extra image quality. I'd prefer to invest in better glass.

2. JonA_CT

JonA_CT TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    In isolation, I agree with both of you.

But that’s not what the OP was talking about. His camera was from 2010, and the camera he upgraded to doubled the resolution, has far greater low light capabilities, can take 1080p video, etc etc etc.

It’s timely to upgrade at a certain point, especially when you find a deal that you can’t pass up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. voyageaimer

voyageaimer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks! You took the words right out of my mouth. I think there are a numbers of unquestionable improvements of my new (on-order) camera and my previous camera. I see there points in that the "upgrade" between one generation to the next is likely too minimal to notice any difference.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, there comes a time when vastly better _sensor's performance_ in a digital camera of recent manufacture makes it well,well worth moving on from older technology, to something with better image quality, and often times, with improvements in the camera's subsystems, like the autofocusing system, or the speed the camera can shoot and write files, and so on. If you're shooting with an older camera that has say, dynamic range in the 11-EV range, moving to a new camera that has 13-EV to 14-EV range can be very nice, since the camera with those sensors tend to also have very wide file exposure recoverability, and some are also ISO-invariant.

I agree mostly that upgrades from one generation to the next might not be enough to warrant a new camera, yet at some point in time, upgrading make sense. For example, at one time, people thought Nikon's D90 was an "outstanding" imager...but by today's standards, it's no longer "outstanding", and despite the nice camera body feature set, I'd rather shoot with a D3400.

• Like Like x 1
  5. beagle100

beagle100 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

get the Canon 50mm 1.8 STM refurbished instead of the yongnuo
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless