Help With Canon DSLR Lens?

Buszaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everone,

I'm sort of thinking about a DSLR camera. Would like to get a Canon, probably XTi. Found a good deal at Futureshop. The kit has the camera, a 75-300 and 18-55 lens, I would also like to get a third. I really like to shoot wildlife and sports. My budget is around $600 Canadian. Preferably a Canon lens. Any help really appreciated.

Thanks a lot

See if you can get the kit without the 18-55 lens. It's really not that good and you'll probably hate it. The XTi's are availabel with body only. Take the money you save and invest it in a better lens. I had the EF-S 17-85 IS with my 20D kit. It was decent for a kit lens. Had good range for an all around lens and IS. I hear good things about the EF 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS too.
Is the 75-300 the USM model? The other model was slow in autofocus. If it's not, consider just getting the body and supplementing better lenses. With the $600 budget and the money saved form the other two lenses, you might be able to get one good telephoto.
For sports, you would ideally get a fast aperature to stop action. You will be looking at a f/2.8. They are not cheap! If you have enough scratch saved from just getting the body only, consider the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. Just about the best lens you can own. Pricey, but everything you could want. Great range, fast aperature, superior image quality and IS. Slap a EF 1.4x TC on it and you have a 98-280 f/4.
You can also get the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. I find that unless you use a monopod or tripod, anything over 180mm will need IS. Especially at slower shutter speed. Just a tiny shake and you lost it. Even from depressing the shutter button.
Food for thought.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back