Help with Canon IS lenses

just x joey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
joeydsmith.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
if a lens has a IS 3-stop protection or whatever, does that mean, u can have the shutter open long enough to be equivelent to 3 fstops? so say the lens is rated for f/4 does the IS mean u can hold the exposure open hand held to be equivilent to a f/1 lens? or what? im looking at the 17-85mm canon USM IS lens, im wondering if the IS will enable me to use this lens in low light situations?

It gives you three extra stops of 'hand holdability'...So if you would normally need a speed of 1/90 to get a sharp shot...then you could expect to get a sharp shot at about 1/15 to 1/10.

IS will only help you avoid the effects of camera shake. It will not, however, freeze any motion by the subject. So yes, it will help you in lower light situations...but not if you are shooting moving subjects. To freeze both camera shake and subject movement...you need a fast shutter speed. To get a faster shutter speed...it helps to have a fast lens (F2.8 or better) and/or you can turn up the ISO setting (which introduces digital noise).

So it's not quite the same as going from an F4 lens to an F1.4 lens.

crap, well i need a good cheap lens for low light situations that has a good zoom.... :angry1:

good luck with that search, if you can find a cheap fast zoom lense, let us all know.

What exactly are you going to need this lens for? Im sure with that knowledge someone here will be able to better recommend a lens that fits what your are looking for.

i need a good cheap lens for low light situations that has a good zoom

:lol: I need a brand new car that will go 0-100 in 5.3, full leather interior, power everything...4x4 that can go off road with ease...and it has to be cheap!

If you are really concerned about low light shooting...does it have to be a zoom? A 50mm F1.8 lens can be bought for $70 US. A 50mm F1.4 is less then $400. The 85mm F1.8 is a good deal.

yah, i decided to buy a 30d with kit lens, 50mm 1.4 and the 85mm 1.8, i think those will be good enough. should i spend the money and get the 430ex flash? or shuld i jsut use the built in one for a while?

If you can help it...don't ever use the built-in flash.

Do you really need to buy all this stuff at once?

I think the best way to do it...would be to buy a camera and one lens...then use it for a while. Then you will have a better idea of what you need/want next.

well i kind of want to buy it all at once, as i will be usign a loan, and wont want to buy ne thign else until i pay the full loan off, i gues sill go with the 30d with kit lens, 85mm, and the 430ex flash.

just x joey... I think I read on another thread you are shooting skateboarding right? I shoot some indoor skatepark stuff.. you cant go wrong with that 85/1.8... on my 1D Mark II that lens almost never comes off the camera indoors... the other lenses that work fairly well are the 35L, 35/2 (I presume), 50/1.4, 100/2, 135L.... 135L is slightly long for close up skateboard style shooting...

I would say that the 30D, 85/1.8, and 430ex would be a great start if thats the route you want to go... I would also get a dome diffuser for the flash... the lighting indoors tends to be inaccurate and not constant... so the 430ex can work well as a low level fill flash...

Here are couple pages with my skateboard shots...
http://trjphotography-rossm.fotopic.net/c1183220.html

-n-

http://trjphotography-rossm.fotopic.net/c1175069.html

No prob... and on a side note...when you get all hooked up... try and keep your aperture around f/2... that should give you enough depth to cover a full person...

my normal settings are pretty much...

ISO1600, f/2, 1/250-1/320, M, and flash at -1 2/3 FEC... for a normal large room with the sodium lighting it should allow you to shoot pretty fast and also your flash will work as fill and recharge quickly..

Most reactions

Back