help with cd cover

PiMpPiStOl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im new here so if this isnt where this belongs, dont hate on me or anything.

But in art class, were supposed to make a prduct that we would sell. were not really gonna sell it, but were supposed to make it as if we were going to. so i didnt knwo what to do and the teacher suggested i do a cd cover for my music that i made. its not the best or anything. and i was gonna work by myself, and not try very hard and just not care that much and prolly fail, but the other day, she got a partner for me. and this girl has a camera, and she use to take photagraphy classes at her old school, so shes prolly good. i know nothing about photography really. so i was wondering if like, yall could listen to some of my stuff maybe, and tell me what you would expect to see on a cd cover with music like this....its techno ish, trancy stuff. i dunno really what its called but yeah.

www.myspace.com/thedjfosho i know that one works, but the one i have more music on i THINK is www.bolt.com/djfosho/music i think thats it.

but yeah, i was gonna ask her to take pictures, and give em to me and i could photoshop em or something...please help!!!!!!

I like the tunes, and the one on myspace makes me think of lasers and alot of colored lighting.

I'm thinking of someone working with a mixer, or someone playing with a record player with his hand reached out towards the camera, with the image on a tilt. the lighting would be a mix of green and some other color and would be really contrasty and saturated.

PiMpPiStOl said:
im new here so if this isnt where this belongs, dont hate on me or anything.

But in art class, were supposed to make a prduct that we would sell. were not really gonna sell it, but were supposed to make it as if we were going to. so i didnt knwo what to do and the teacher suggested i do a cd cover for my music that i made. its not the best or anything. and i was gonna work by myself, and not try very hard and just not care that much and prolly fail, but the other day, she got a partner for me. and this girl has a camera, and she use to take photagraphy classes at her old school, so shes prolly good. i know nothing about photography really. so i was wondering if like, yall could listen to some of my stuff maybe, and tell me what you would expect to see on a cd cover with music like this....its techno ish, trancy stuff. i dunno really what its called but yeah.

www.myspace.com/thedjfosho i know that one works, but the one i have more music on i THINK is www.bolt.com/djfosho/music i think thats it.

but yeah, i was gonna ask her to take pictures, and give em to me and i could photoshop em or something...please help!!!!!!

Maybe tonyx (http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62786&highlight=club) has got the pix for your CD cover. Team up?

eh...isn't the idea of making a cd cover for your own music, that you come up with your own ideas? Don't get me wrong, I want to help, but I don't think there is a 'typical' cd cover photo for trance or techno music. Is there?

I Googled 'techno, cd' and found this (just an example):

http://www.bangingtunes.com/cd/techno/ .

See, every cover is different. I think what I am saying is, you can't go wrong, whatever pictures you use.
And if you want to get ideas, search for cd covers on the internet and see if you can find one that is 'your style', and take it from there.

Good luck!

pascal

well, i dont wanna steal anybodys work or anything. i was going to before i got the partner, but i found out about her photography thing. so yeah. and yeah, its coming up with your own ideas i guess, but if i did that, id never have a cover. my imagination sucks....so yeah.

PiMpPiStOl said:
well, i dont wanna steal anybodys work or anything
Good, because that's not what I'm suggesting. I want you to be inspired by images, not steal them...

my imagination sucks....so yeah.
:), oh come on, you make music, so I'm guessing you're somewhat of a creative person, right?

pascal

"search for cd covers on the internet and see if you can find one that is 'your style', and take it from there."

sorry, i just thought thats what you meant.

and yeah i make the music but like, i just sit there, and think, and give up and just slap notes everywhere, then if it sounds even a little good, ill delete some notes, add em. if not, ill delete all and slap em again, and if i just cant, ill go off doing something else. but i mean, if you notice, most of the songs, all prolly, are just repeating over and over and over and over and over. ya know? but yeah, maybe i have a lil imagination. but like, when we do stuff in art, i can NEVER think of anything to do. im almost failing. but yeah

well, there you go. Now you're saying something about your music: 'it's the same over and over and over'. Why not try to visualize that? Or maybe you want to say something about the mood you were in when you were writing the music. I think that would make it all more personal.

But what do I know, I've never made a cd cover...:lol:

pascal
(oh and sorry about the misunderstanding, English is not my native language)

yeah, i never thought of thats. its a good idea. thanks!!! and whats your native language?

The majority of CD covers in that genre of music are usually very basic.
Have you asked the girl your working with if she has any ideas?

When you think of techno and trance music, it usually gives the feeling of lighting and clubs.
So why not try going out on a night and captureing pictures of strobe lights or even trace an image with light on a slow shutter speed.

Possibilites are ENDLESS.
If you can't think of how to do a CD cover for your own music, then you can't be very inspirational in making it or for that matter, taking an art class.
So think about it too much. You have the ideas in your head already, just try them out.

yeah, im gonna ask her if she has any ideas. i also asked this girl on the internet if she wanted to help out. she said shed love to. like take pics of herself, and i do stuff with that. im just not photographicly talented or whatever ya know? i just dont have that talent like some people do

Most reactions

Back