Help with costs for used lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by clockwurk, Feb 5, 2010.

1. clockwurk

clockwurk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello all :)

I'm fairly new at this and I was looking into buying some lenses for my D200.

I am looking at a 50mm f/1.4 D and I have noticed that the going rate for this used, excellent condition is around 250-275 dollars.

I was wondering if anyone here knows what is the general cost for a used, excellent condition Nikon AF-S 70-200mm VR f/2.8 G ED-IF? I'm assuming it is out for warranty.

Thank you in advance.

2. dearlybeloved

dearlybeloved No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ive seen them for 1400 but thats a good deal id say.

3. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Sold items on eBay is aprox. $1500.00

4. fstop

fstop TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    $1400-$1500 max. If you don't already have one, register with ebay and do an advanced search on completed listings. Make sure they've actually "sold" or it doesn't mean anything. Someone else mentioned ebay...not sure if you knew how to dig for it.

You can find an occassional decent buy on Craigslist, but I've found most clowns think their going to get 10% off original purchase price with a ding to boot on Craigs.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon's warranty only applies to the original owner, so any used gear you buy from an individual doesn't have any warranty, even if the warranty card is not filled out. I register Nikon gear online, not by snail mail. Considering Nikon USA lenses come with a 5 year warranty is a consideration for buying new, rather than used.

It's also the reason some Nikon owners have a 5 year lens selling cycle.

Some used gear sold by camera stores comes with a limited, short term, warranty and most factory refurbished gear comes with 90 days of warranty.

6. clockwurk

clockwurk TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, thank you all for the response. Its very much appreciated.

MnH, the 5 year selling cycle is interesting. I would have never thought about it. I want this lens but I cannot justify paying 2k for it right now, since I do not shoot professionally.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback :)

7. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With a d200 you have the option of using ai/ais manual focus lenses. You should consider that if cost is a concern. I perfer to focus the 50mm lens manually anyway since the dof is so tiny. If you ever look for a wide angle or macro lens you should definitely consider an ais lens, as autofocus is not that useful for wides or macros.

I have a 50mm f1.2 ai nikkor on ebay right now, ending tomorrow and still sitting below $300.

You can snag a 50mm f1.4 ais lens for $100 or less.

As for the afs 70-200 f2.8, you may consider an AF 80-200 f2.8. I just bought a mint example for only $500--optically it's just as good as the new VR AFS version--you just don't have VR and the focus is a little slower.