Help with digital printing needed!

For printing digital, a lab is a hard way to go. I guess if you are not particular about the outcome it might be fine. If you are picky, it will end up costing. Also I have never seen a good lab that is cheaper than doing it yourself. Ink is expensive. For inkjets, I spend about $1200 per month on ink.

How on earth is $1200 cheaper than a $3 print?

My online lab prices :

3.5 X 5 Print 1.43:1 $0.32
4 x 5 Print 1.25:1 $0.35
4 X 6 Print 1.50:1 $0.36
5 X 7 Print 1.40:1 $0.78
6 x 6 Print 1.00:1 $0.60
12 x 6 Panoramic 2.00:1 $1.20
18 x 6 Panoramic 3.00:1 $1.80
24 x 6 Panoramic 4.00:1 $2.40
30 x 6 Panoramic 5.00:1 $3.00
8 X 10 Print 1.25:1 $2.35
8 X 12 Print 1.50:1 $2.70
10 X 15 Print 1.50:1 $3.50
11 X 14 Print 1.27:1 $3.40
12 x 12 Print 1.00:1 $2.40
24 x 12 Panoramic 2.00:1 $4.80
36 x 12 Panoramic 3.00:1 $7.20
48 x 12 Panoramic 4.00:1 $9.60
60 x 12 Panoramic 5.00:1 $12.00
16 x 20 Print 1.25:1 $11.10
16 x 24 Print 1.50:1 $12.60
18 x 24 Print 1.33:1 $13.05
20 x 20 Print 1.00:1 $12.60
20 x 24 Print 1.20:1 $13.40
20 x 30 Print 1.50:1 $14.10
30 x 40 Print 1.33:1 $30.20

I guess if you are satisfied with the quality. I have tried several labs in the past and to get good quality usually costs a lot more than that.

I wasn't saying it would cost you $1200 per month. I spend that much on ink. I make a lot of prints.

The life span of cheap inks and paper was shocking while doing research on my next ink jet. I found basically one group that seems to be making significant headway in scientifically testing the archival qualities of various inkjets. I found this site to be rich in information and much of their data is published for free:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/index.html

If you do a search on Wilhelm you will find that there are many out there that are using their data or referencing their research as a credible source. So much so, that I tended to only consider ink jets that had gone through their tests.

I ended up with the ever so popular Epson 2200 and continue to use my Epson 825 for proofs etc. I tried some elcheapo inks once in the 825 and found red shifting in less than 6 months of open display under flourescent lighting ( office environment ). Other than that one time, I've stuck to using archival quality papers ( pigment ink compatible papers for the 2200 ) and epson branded inks. Haven't had any problems.

Reactions: Rob
The quality is the best I've seen. It's a lab run by photographers, lots of photographers. It's much cheaper than other labs because it's at cost when you have a membership.

We print on Fugicolor Crystal Archive professional photographic paper, processed through Kodak RA-4 chemistry. The archival qualities of this process is 50+ years, before fading may occur. This is the same process that you would find at your better professional labs.

Cool, thanks for all your help everyone.

Just to clarify, although my model's faded and were abused - mine were in a cardboard box and had faded just as much - it's evidently an ink issue as the paper is supposed to be "archival". Must be HP inks I suppose.

Labs aren't an option for me as I want to print myself to my specification. This involves a considerable amount of me printing something and throwing it away, but that's my lookout. I also want things NOW! :)

All the "pro" digital people at Nikon that I've been introduced to have used Epson and they've always had the rep as the best resolution printers, but as an IT person (several years ago) I had found that they weren't durable enough for an every day office and were made of flimsy plastic and broke a lot. I'll get myself down to PC World and print some test pages and see if they are better quality these days.

Any one have any more thoughts?

Hi again.
I have had the epson 2200 and 7600 since it came out, and the 2000 before that and the 1280 before that, etc. I have found them to be very durable and work horses. You do ofcourse have to take care of them just like any other ink jet, head allignment, cleaning, etc. I make on average 400 13x19 prints a month and numerous tests or smaller prints from the 2200.
I know that HP has come out with some good professional products lately but I can't comment on those.

Reactions: Rob
Thanks Will. The HP stuff is great for letters and other disposable stuff, it just doesn't archive by the looks of it!

Rob

Good luck with it, Rob. I'll be interested in seeing what you end up with! :)

As a little side note, a few months ago we were at a trade show. My wife has a commercial embroidery machine and we were "shopping" for garment vendors. I came across a machine on display that prints photo quality directly on fabric. You load a Tee or sweat shirt into the printer and out comes a high res. color photo printed and wash safe. I was amazed and the wheels started to turn in my head. I bought the machine and the thing that helped me make that decision was the print engine is a Epson 2200! The manufacture has a forum dedicated to his machine and a few owners have already passed the 10,000 shirt mark. I think that would qualify it as durable.

Good fact John - thanks!

It looks settled then. Epson printer on archival papers with archival inks and sod the cost.

Hopefully I can do myself proud when we next do a print exchange (European/Global print exchange?)

Rob

I wonder why so many people still use film ... :)

xbazzillion an using a good lab. there is usually the option of (improved prints) or (prints the way you deliver them)

Might take a couple of prints to hit the color, but then, the labs are pretty consistant.

Developed prints last longer.

ev13wt said:
I wonder why so many people still use film ... :)

xbazzillion an using a good lab. there is usually the option of (improved prints) or (prints the way you deliver them)

Might take a couple of prints to hit the color, but then, the labs are pretty consistant.

Developed prints last longer.
Because film is a beautiful thing. I use it exclusively. I have no use for digital cameras in my work. My knowledge of inkjet printing from home belies this fact, I know. :lol: It's amusing. Love my Epson printer!

What are the B&W prints like from your printer? Does it use 2 or 3 black inks?

You've got to wonder about the future of traditional print developing.
/* I'm sure I'll regret saying that */

Marctwo said:
What are the B&W prints like from your printer? Does it use 2 or 3 black inks?

You've got to wonder about the future of traditional print developing.
/* I'm sure I'll regret saying that */
I don't need to print B&W from my inkjet. I have a darkroom for that, and it will beat the pants off anything else in longevity and quality. ;)

I don't wonder about the future of traditional print developing at all. Over in the darkroom forum there are 2 different people planning on building their own DRs this winter. It goes on.

I use my Epson for a variety of things. I was doing digital photo restorations on the side for a few years and needed output for the finished product. I reproduce some of my Polaroid originals with it. I shot some color infrared recently, and I'll get much better prints from that Epson that I would taking it to some lab and trying to explain it. :lol: Lotsa stuff!

But I'm still just your basic film geek. :Joker:

Most reactions

Back