Help with editing...

jenn76

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicmemories.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this shot of my 3 handsome little guys a couple of days ago... they were having so much fun playing in the leaves, and I had my camera ready and yelled "Hey guys!" and they all looked up and I got this shot... I really like it (probably mostly because they're my kids! :mrgreen:), but i'm having trouble with editing that i'm happy with. I'm posting it SOOC, and let you have at it if you want to. I have tried boosting the color, I have tried desaturating a bit, and I've tried a funky mix. But I don't like any of them so far... so what can you come up with? I know it needs a bit of sharpening, but what else would you do with it? Thanks! :hugs:

IMG_2129.jpg

sorry i dont have any editing help but wanted to say that picture is adorable! cute boys!

I didn't change much, not sure if you will like it any better. Great Pic.

2s664wj.jpg

those glasses are amazing!! i want some that will fit me!!! Moonb007 did a pretty good edit.. i'd stick with that one... Braomius.. not bad, but i think you brightened up the faces to much... i would have a go, but i think moon did a great job

Slight S curve for contrast, shadow highlight to bring up the dark blue middle guy, high pass sharpening technique.

jenn76-edit-boys-leaves_IMG_2129.jpg

-Shea

Thanks to those of you who have given this a shot... I think I like the last one best. I think the tones and colors look the most natural in it. Moonb007 was a very close second! Thanks again everyone!

Have to ask about the glasses. Is he wearing them upside down? Looks like it. My youngest ALWAYS wears any kind of glasses upside down no matter how much I try to tell her. Just had to laugh about that because it definitely looks like they are being worn upside down in the photo there.

Have to ask about the glasses. Is he wearing them upside down? Looks like it. My youngest ALWAYS wears any kind of glasses upside down no matter how much I try to tell her. Just had to laugh about that because it definitely looks like they are being worn upside down in the photo there.

He's wearing them right. There is a curve over the nose the way he's wearing them... it's more squared the other way. They really could go either way, but he gets mad if you put them on him upside down. It's kinda funny to watch him though. :lol:

Adorable!!!

Ls3D . . . what are you editing with? I'm new to editing. I used to do it many moons ago with Photoshop & I'm trying to get back into editing.

Photoshop since before they added layers! Seriously another program called Altamira composer (something like that) had 'alpha' before PS. Alpha being what video folks call the first grey channel after the RGB channels - AKA mask.

You notice I did not indicate which version of PS, since the fundamentals of editing can be done with almost any version... although the somewhat recent shadow highlight tool (used sparingly) has become a big part of my editing when RAW is not available.

I felt the first edit (Braomius) had a strong yellow cast, in addition to blowing the highlights. The 2nd (MOON) is good, but IMO the shadow detail and saturation are just past a natural level. Compare the fabrics in the two shots, subtle differences may be apparent to you as well. The blue jeans are probably a color and texture we all have deep memories about.. amplify them too far and...

I may have had another advantage with my sharpening technique.. when done via unsharp mask it is less flexible than a high-pass layer that can be adjusted at any time or trashed and reprocessed above the original.

That said I would probably bring up the faces a bit in a more precise edit, closer to what MOON presented.

Another will perceive things differently, and I make no claims to right or wrong - just offering my take. Factor in monitor calibration etc and WYSInotWYG.

-Shea

Most reactions

New Topics

Back